Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Saturday, March 19, 2011

What does it mean when my world is shaking and groaning?

I've never experienced an earthquake.
Living in Ohio, or South Carolina, or New Hampshire, or even Michigan never afforded me that.
Not even here in Texas.
They say it's an unnerving experience.....frightening.
You become disoriented.
The things you hold dear break apart and crash down around you.

I'm mesmerized by the pictures coming out of Japan.
I cannot even begin to imagine what a nightmare that must be.
If you happened to survive the strongest recorded earthquake in history in that land, then you may have been washed away by the subsequent wall of water that crashed through its barriers up over villages and towns and left vehicles on top of 3-story buildings, and homes floating in the ocean miles off of shore.
If you survived both of those equally horrendous experiences, now you have a nuclear reactor melting down and puffing radiation into the air you breathe......a certain death sentence.
Who can help them?
Most people who can are fleeing the country for safety.
Many who want to help can't because of the radiation fears.
Many can only wish they could get away.

Though I have never felt the earth shake, my own little world has been shaken many, many times.
Things I have no control over that could be potentially life-threatening.
Terrible days of frustration and anger and endless chaos.
The overwhelming tsunami of the messiness of children and laundry and dishes and homeschooling and medical needs.
How do I keep from drowning?
What am I supposed to do when ideas, and dreams, and aspirations, and hopes come crashing down around me?


1.  I remember that Elohim, the creator of this world, my world, has given us hope.
When sin entered this world, my world, both I and the earth were infected, corrupted.
We see the earth groaning from the weight of this, shifting.

"For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now."
Romans 8:22

There are days when I am groaning over the weight of the things I'm handling at home.

"And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit,
groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons,
the redemption of our bodies."
Romans 8:23

But He's given those who have trusted His as Savior hope of a glorious, transformed, redemptive future.

"For we are saved by hope;
but hope that is seen is not hope:
for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
But if we hope for that we see not,
then do we with patience wait for it....
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God,
to them who are the called according to his purpose."
Romans 8:24,25 and 28


"Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God;
neither does corruption inherit incorruption.
Behold, I show you a mystery;
We shall not all sleep, 
but we shall all be changed.
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, 
at the last trump:
For the trumpet shall sound,
and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, 
and we shall be changed. 
For this corruptible must put on incorruption,
and this mortal must put on immortality.
So when this corruption shall have put on incorruption,
and this mortal shall have put on immortality,
then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written,
Death is swallowed up in victory."
1 Corinthians 15:51-54

2. I ponder that Jehovah God is a dependable, secure place of refuge.

"God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble.
Therefore will not we fear,
though the earth be removed,
and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, 
though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof.  Selah.
Come,
behold the works of the Lord,
what desolations he hath made in the earth.....

Be still,
and know that I am God.....
The LORD of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our refuge.
Selah."
Psalm 46 1-3, 8, 10, 11

3.  The sheer power of these forces of nature are just glimpses of the Omnipotent Supremacy
 of the God of Creation,
and that He is indeed capable of reworking this earth as seen in the prophecies of Scripture.

"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth:
for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away;
and there was no more sea.
And I John saw the holy city,
new Jersusalem,
coming down from God out of heaven,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.


And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes;
and there shall be no more death, 
neither sorrow,
nor crying,
neither shall there be any more pain:
for the former things are passed away.
And he that sat upon the throne said,
Behold I make all things new."
Revelation 21 1,2, 4,5


"....and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven,
from the throne, saying,
It is done.
And there were voices,
and thunders, and lightnings;
and there was a great earthquake,
such as was not since men were upon the earth,
so might an earthquake, and so great......
And every island fled away,
and the mountains were not found.....
Revelation 16: 17, 18 and 20


When my world shakes, and roars,
when my world crashes down around me,
when I feel overwhelmed by the wave of life that keeps piling me under,
I can trust and look and have peace.......


"Fear not:
for I have redeemed thee,
I have called thee by thy name;
thou art mine.

When thou passest through the water,
I will be with thee;
and through the rivers,
they shall not overflow thee:
when thou walkest through the fire,
thou shalt not be burned;
neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.

For I am the LORD thy God, 
the Holy One of Isreal,
thy Savior...."

Isaiah 43:1,2
















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. I have been following your blog for a while. I am a Christian, stay-at-home, military wife of 4 kids. We homeschool and have different health issues, which is what lead me to your blog.

We have been living in Japan for 7 years and just recently made the very difficult decision to evacuate and are now on our way to Grandma's house.

One thing I would like to say is to please, please pray that this is exactly the thing God needed to do to crack the hearts of the Japanese people so that they would be open to Him. They have so many gods in their culture, and just lump Him in with the rest. The few (compared to the masses) that do truly accept Christ as their Savior are shunned by the rest of their family - cast out and turned on.

Japan is a country full of closed people who do not normally reach out beyond their own circle of friends, and what we are seeing there now is a country who has been broken and who are reaching out, accepting help, and showing a love toward their fellow man that is a real act of God.

Japan is a great country and the Japanese are great people and it is a tremendous tragedy what has gone on in their country, but it is our family's prayer that this will help to open their hearts and minds to the Lord. Going through this really does put into perspective what are the most important things in this life on Earth - reaching others with the message of salvation.

We also have many missionary friends, Americans, who are in Japan ministering to the Japanese people. Please do pray for them, also, to have the strength and perseverance to carry on their mission in such adversity!

Brenda said...

Thank you so very much for your gentle, kind response. Your words are an answer to prayer for me. I've been telling my husband that I don't really even know how to pray for the people of Japan right now, especially those in the hardest hit areas who have lost everything and are still in danger of losing their lives. I appreciate your perspective on how best to pray for them. I have wanted to talk about praying effectively for this nation, and I hope you won't mind if I share some of your thoughts on another post? Thank you, thank you for taking the time to read and then to help me see more clearly. God bless your family as you go through this difficult transition time and are adjusting to a new living situation!! I will pray for your family too!!

Brenda