Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A girl's 13th birthday party idea

It's birthday season at our house!!
We start celebrating birthdays in January with our youngest, and have one birthday every month through May.
During April though, we have 3 birthdays in a span of 10 days in addition to our wedding anniversary and extended family members birthdays!!

This year our second born turned 13!!
Yikes!
We now have two teenagers in the house.
(And actually, I reeeeeally like having older children in my house!!  Lots of perks and fun!!)

So when she told me awhile back that she wanted a sleepover this year, I knew I would have to have a theme!!
Birthday party ideas for 13-year old girls can be tricky.
They are too old for a lot of the typical girl stuff, but yet fun enough to still be willing to do something out-of-the-ordinary.
So I got onto Pinterest right away.
When I saw this idea, I knew we probably had a winner!!
Ashlyn was all for it......so a "Camping Party" it was!!

***WARNING:  Lots of pictures ahead!**





 When the girls arrived, this little table was set up with some snacks for them before we left on our scavenger hunt.  These cute little favor boxes contained trail mix for the each girl.


 I thought for sure I took pictures of the entire table and the cute picnic basket set up to hold water bottles.......

I was totally inspired by the idea I saw on pinterest to come up with cupcake display.
Can you tell what it's supposed to look like?
We just made the cupcakes ourselves and spray painted them (with Wilton's edible frosting coloring spray)
to make them look like fire!!





The first activity we did was a scavenger hunt at our local shopping mall.
Ours is all outdoors, so I let the girls go in teams with 5 things written on index cards they had to find.
Here the girls have found a sample of s'more flavored popcorn.
They also had to do things like try on a pair of hiking boots and take a picture to prove it.


When we got home, we were all starving and I made pigs-in-a-blanket, baked beans,
and tator tots.  I served them in recycled tin cans wrapped in a strip of pretty paper and tied with twine.
I'm kickin' myself for not getting a picture of that either!!

Movies came next, followed by making real s'mores in our fireplace!!



The girls did actually start out in the tent in the backyard, but I woke in the morning to find this:


Happy 13th Birthday, Ashlyn!!!
We love you!!


1 comment:

Blessings from Mama said...

What a precious idea! Yes, I can totally tell what the cupcakes are suppose to be. You did good! :)