Friday, March 11, 2011

Friday's Fabulous Family Recipe

Today's recipe is a bit of a victory for me!!
I share it only because I have FINALLY found how to make these cookies come out right!
It has only taken 14 years of trying, and eating many.many.many less than perfect cookies.
Delicious.
But less than perfect.
So several months ago I came upon a blog where a fellow mom shared her experiences with these cookies,
and her disappointments!
I was delighted to find that someone else finally had the courage to admit in public that this recipe is STUPID touchy.
I have had these cookies at many a church potluck that have turned out perfect and are to DIE FOR!!
And I admit that in the 14 years I've been using these recipes, I've had a couple of great results.
Just enough to want to keep trying for that elusive perfect combination!!
I KNEW it existed and I was GOING to get it right!!
So this fellow mommy divulged the "secret ingredient" that caused her cookies to turn out perfect every time.
Wanna know what it is??
Well, just hang on.....

If you EVER find a recipe on the internet, or from your Mama, or your Granny, or your best friend for
Chocolate No Bake Cookies that calls for 2% milk or regular milk or skim milk........wad it up.
Throw it straight in the trash!
I don't care what they tell you......your cookies will turn out like PLAY DOUGH!
Every time.
It did for me for 14 years!!
No matter how long I boiled the first 5 ingredients, no matter how much extra oatmeal I put it.....play dough!
UNTIL....I discovered the secret ingredient........drum roll please!!!
Are you ready!!!

Evaporated milk.
Yes, you read that right.
And doesn't it make sense??
Well, it WORKS!
I still have to watch every ingredient to the "T" and make sure it boils for at least 2 minutes, but they set up beautifully {nearly} every time.
Think fudge.
They are gluten free too.
And super easy to whip up.
They are a "go to" dessert recipe for me when I'm in a hurry......great for church potlucks!!

Chocolate No Bake Cookies

2 cups granulated sugar (I use a less processed, organic variety)
3 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup evaporated milk (DO NOT USE REGULAR MILK)
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
3 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla

In a medium sized sauce pan over medium high heat, add margarine, sugar, cocoa powder, milk and salt.  Stir until margarine is melted and ingredients are incorporated.  Bring to a boil, and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until completely melted.  Add vanilla and oatmeal, mix well.  Work quickly before it cools and drop by tablespoons onto wax paper. Let cool completely on wax paper.  Remove cookies when they are cool and have set up......if you can keep your little children from descending upon them like flies to rotten meat!!

Love them!!  Enjoy them!!




1 comment:

  1. hmmm they look so yummy!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts too.....