Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Reflecting on the "Holy Days"

I have to confess.
One of my favorite holidays is Easter.
For me, as a born-again believer in and follower of Jesus Christ, it is the most important day to remember!!
True, the death of Jesus Christ on the cross for our sin is important and was necessary for my atonement.
But without Christ's resurrection, His power over even death manifested, how could we believe anything else He said?
His resurrection was completion of the work He came to do here on earth for me!!

Today marks the beginning of the 40 day period prior to the death of Christ known as "the Holy Days" or "Lent."
My church does not typically recognize this time nor do anything particular to practice it, but in my personal life, I do like to reflect on the days of Jesus leading up to His horrific death, and to prepare my heart for rejoicing that He exercised His power over sin and death, and now lives again in Heaven ever interceding on my behalf to our Father Elohim!

During this time I want to lead my children through scriptures that teach us of the days preceding His sacrifice and to meditate on what it means to give up our comforts to be empty and receptive of Jesus Christ and His work for us.

Maybe some day, I'll have the time to create my own devotionals and meaningful activities for families to walk through, but for now, I'll share some things that others have put together that are available today:

by Ann Voskamp

A lovely set of daily devotionals and activities appropriate for children that you can print out!

 8 devotionals to follow weekly or as a daily devotional during Holy Week


What does your family do together to remember the ultimate sacrifice for you, and the consequential victory that Jesus Christ won over the power that death has on the human body?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts too.....