Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday's Fabulous Family Recipe!!

Every year, in the fall, I like to pull out one of my favorite, all-time recipes.
I love anything with pumpkin in it.
I have lots of amazing recipes with pumpkin in them.
Desserts, breakfast dishes, but this bread recipe is the BEST.
I have made these little gems and given them as gifts.
Most of the time though, I can hardly make enough of them before my children vacuum them up!!
They are lovely for breakfast.....especially on a crisp, Sunday morning.
Or even with your Christmas breakfast.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup of margarine, softened
3 eggs
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
1/2 cup water
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

In a mixing bowl, cream sugars, butter and eggs.  
Add flour, pumpkin, water, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves.
Mix thoroughly.  Fold in chocolate chips.
Pour into 4 greased and floured 6x3x2 inch loaf pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until breads test done.
Yield: 4 mini- loaves.

Here is how I have embellished this recipe to make it healthier (and oh, so. d.e.l.i.c.i.o.u.s!) for my family:

2 cups of organic cane juice crystals
2/3 cup of margarine, softened
3 eggs
2 1/3 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
Several scoops of cold-milled flax seed
The entire 15 oz. can of pumpkin
1/2 cup water
2 tsp. of baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon
Dash of salt
1/2 of a 12 oz. bag of mini-chocolate chips
(Not as sickly sweet with chocolate that way...unless of course....)

Follow the same instructions above, except drop into greased mini-muffin pans
and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 15 minutes or until muffins test done.
YUM!!!







** Repost from the archives.
I've been making these many mornings here lately
because they are so comforting on chilly mornings.
Even without the chocolate chips they are delightful!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts too.....