Saturday, January 15, 2011

What Jesus looks like

I've been thinking a lot about the name....
the name {or theme, if you will} of this still fresh year.
A name that will embody the way I move, the way I respond, the way I think about, the way I treat....
my children, my husband, my friends, strangers the Lord unexpectedly places in my path, myself.
I've been pondering what it looks like to be like Christ.
Would those around me say, "I could never do that.  That's what Jesus would do."

"{Jesus} is patient,
{Jesus} is kind,
{Jesus} is not jealous,
{Jesus} does not brag and is not arrogant,
{Jesus} does not act unbecomingly,
{Jesus} does not seek His own,"
{Jesus} is not provoked,
{Jesus} does not take into account a wrong suffered,
{Jesus} does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth,
{Jesus} bears all things,
{Jesus} believes all things,
{Jesus} hopes all things,
{Jesus} endures all things."

~1 Corinthians 13: 4-7

I want, not only complete strangers, but my HUSBAND, my BABIES to see a difference in me.

Like the Israelites saw in Moses after he came down from the mountain after spending 40 days with Jehovah.

"And it came to pass,
when Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tables
of testimony in Moses' hand,
when he came down from the mount,
that Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone
because of his speaking with Him {Jehovah}.
And when Aaron and all the children of Israel saw Moses,
behold,
the skin of his face shone;
and they were afraid to come near him."

~Exodus 34: 29,30


Of course, I don't want my family to {be afraid} of me, but I do want them to know I've spent time with Him.
That what I am and how I respond to them looks {like Jehovah.}

This last year I learned something incredible to me.
It has revolutionized me.
And I'm ashamed to admit that I never understood this before now.....my FORTIETH year of life.
40 YEARS....and I never got it.
Don't think I had ever seen it.
Knew a whole LOT of what it looked like without it.
Couldn't figure out why it was so {amazing}....so {wonderful}.....so {matchless}.
When you've never seen something displayed and had a name put to it, it's hard to visualize.

I don't want my children to miss it like I did.
I don't want my husband to feel strangled by the lack of it.
I want my family to experience the freedom it results in.

"Freedom is not doing what you want,
but the ability to do what you should."

This year I want to develop the habit of extending, of growing in, of living in the freedom of......
Grace.

Now that I know what it looks like.....I want to show it.
I want to be the hands and feet of Jesus.

2011
The Year of Grace




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts too.....