Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday's Fabulous Family Recipe!!

It's been awhile since I've posted a recipe, but this is such a yummy one and is so good for these cold winter days.  The first time I ever heard of this dish was when I was living in New Hampshire.  I don't think it's specific to that region of the country, though it wouldn't surprise me as it's so hardy and warming during the endless months of snow and cold up there.  Honestly, I've never seen a recipe for it nor seen it served anywhere here in Texas, but that doesn't mean that it's not here.
Doesn't nearly every good "homestyle" restaurant have a recipe for this?
My recipe is taken from a cookbook I have from a M.O.P.S group in Northwest Ohio where I grew up.  It's very good, but I'm sure it would be more amazing with some fabulous homemade sauce or other ingredients added to it (I'm thinking shredded cheese or those french fried onion things, and I've seen other recipes that use frozen peas and carrots and diced tomatoes too).  It's really delicious and one of the perfect "comfort foods!"

Shepherd's Pie

1 lb ground beef (I always use a pound of ground turkey)
1 can corn
1 can green beans
1 can cream of mushroom soup (I prefer the organic brands without all the MSG)
3 servings of mashed potatoes (leftovers are great for this!!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Brown ground meat and place in the bottom of a casserole dish. (I used about a 3 quart dish)
Layer corn over meat, then soup over corn.
Layer beans over the soup.
Cover all with the mashed potatoes.
Bake for 45 to 60 minutes.  (I did mine uncovered.)


I think the next time, I'm going to mix some shredded cheese into the mashed potatoes before spreading them over the top of the veggies.  The idea of cheesy potatoes just sounds so good to me!!

Enjoy!!!


(P.S.  Sorry I don't have any pictures of it in an individual serving on a plate, but you can find some
here and here!!)

3 comments:

Donna said...

One of my Boy Scout husband's favorite meals, although he would never eat it with cheese, but I would!

Brenda said...

Oooo....I would love to know what other ingredients his family used? Other veggies, meat, sauces??

Donna said...

His Boy Scout recipe comes from the Wood Badge Quartermaster Guide.

4 lbs. ground beef
1 large onion
2 cups milk
10oz pkg instant potato (I use the real thing; therefore, I don't use that much milk in making potatoes.)
4 T butter
2 cans corn (I use frozen)

Brown the onion in butter. Add the beef and cook until done. Add the corn. Spread the potatoes on top. Add salt and pepper to taste. Put on coals (I put mine in the oven of course.)
Cook 15 - 30 minutes

Variations: add cheese and/or bacon to the top

If it is Boy Scout Cooking, it is going to be simple, but good.