Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday's Fabulous Family Recipe!!

This lovely recipe came to me from a friend in our very first church in Michigan. 
I have to admit that the first time I tried it, over a decade ago, I was not impressed.
In fact, I almost tossed the recipe.
It was just sooooo dry, you could hardly swallow it.
But I did hang on to it, and it came all the way down here to Texas.
Recently, I've been playing with different cornbread recipes.
I never realized that the recipes are different in different parts of the country.
Here in the southwest, you have "Southern Cornbread" which is best baked in a cast iron skillet.
It develops a bit of a crunchy outer crust, but in my opinion it's still pretty dry. 
 (Kinda goes along with the Texas summers, I guess)
But I found the MOST delightful recipe for SWEET cornbread, (yes, you read it right...SWEET)
and it's DIVINE!!
So, I remembered this recipe and decided to see this cornbread made any difference!!
Can I just say, that my husband and I can't get enough of this stuff!!!
SO delicious!!!
The recipe came to me originally named "Cornbread Casserole,"
but I think it sounds better as.....

Layered Tex-Mex Delight!!!

First, you slice a 9 x 13 square of cornbread in half crosswise,
and place the bottom half back into the 9 x 13 " pan 



Next, spread 1 large can (is it 28 oz.?) of refried beans over the cornbread.
Top with 1 pound of browned, ground meat (I use turkey).
Sprinkle on as many chopped green onions that you enjoy.
Top all with 3-4 cups of shredded cheese (I used cheddar).




Finally, place the top half of the cornbread on top of the cheese layer.  Your pan will be really full at this point.
Spread on a 16-ounce jar of your favorite salsa.



Bake this in the oven at 350 degrees until heated through and cheese is melted (approximately 20 minutes).
I did not cover mine since the pan is so full, but I may try the next time carefully folding some tin foil over it all to keep it even moister.
Slice into squares and serve with extra salsa and sour cream for garnish.

Enjoy the warm, oooey, goodness.
You can use whichever cornbread recipe you want, 
but I like how moist, thick,  and cake-like the sweet cornbread is.




Sweet Cornbread

1 cup all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup white sugar (I used my organic cane sugar crystals)
1 t. salt
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil

I doubled all the measurements for my 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
Spray or grease your pan, and preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder.  Stir in egg, milk, vegetable oil until well combined.  Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean.

DELISH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts too.....