Thursday, January 21, 2010

Homemade Brown Sugar


This past Saturday I decided to make 3 batches of our favorite Peanut Butter Swirl Bars (click on that name for the recipe, if you're interested.) It wasn't until I was already into the recipe that I remembered I was out of brown sugar. Never fear!! I knew I had some molasses in my pantry somewhere and plenty of granulated sugar.....so I was all set. Did you know you can make your own brown sugar? Some people like the taste of it better than the store bought version. I'm not sure that it would be cheaper since brown sugar is already pretty cheap and molasses is a bit pricey, but I think it would be pretty close. The flavor is worth it!!!


To one cup of white granulated sugar, use 2 T. of old-fashioned dark molasses.
Mix together well and store as you would store bought brown sugar, in an airtight container.



Not completely mixed yet.....




Just about right!!

No comments: