Saturday, April 7, 2012

Family activities to make Passion Week meaningful


This week our family has been remembering the road that Christ took to the cross. You can follow through the Gospels and reflect on the activities of Jesus Christ that final week before His terrible death....His slaughter. This event climaxes everything the Old Testament was about......everything the Old Testament pointed to. God's satisfaction for the sins of mankind was permanently, this one time only, displayed hanging on the cross. His death so completely satisfied the debt that the ten-foot thick veil that hung between all believers and God the Father in the Temple in Jerusalem was divinely torn in half signifying that it was no longer necessary to have a human high priest go before God the Father to intercede for our forgiveness for our sin.  Believers in Jesus Christ, Christians, now have full access to our Heavenly Father because Jesus Christ is now our High Priest and we can go before Him ourselves. That intimate relationship with God the Father was restored to us because of the death of Jesus Christ. Our sin that stains us and contaminates our being and prevents us from being in the presence of a Holy God has been covered by the blood of Jesus Christ.

I wanted to make this week of remembrance special for my children again this year. I'm really not interested in combining this most sacred, holy, reflective time with bunnies, eggs, and candy. I don't really see how the two even relate? I do like to do baby animals, eggs, and candy for celebrating SPRING....but Easter? No. So for the last couple weeks, I've been looking for some great hands-on activities that my children can do together that really pictures what this week is all about. I found some beautiful ideas here.

Then I went over to one of my favorite blogs, Holy Experience, and found lots of great ideas.
Here are a couple things I found that we incorporated into our teaching times:

1. We made candy crosses. "Be not conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Romans 12:2. Are you learning how to be conformed to the image of Christ? Here are some pictures of our family's version:





This year I used Katie's recipe and made sugar-free chocolate candy using xylitol.  The recipe here. 

2. We've done these in the past.  Fun project with  magazine pages to make some butterflies.. Talk about new life....new life found in Christ....and the life cycle of butterflies.  The tutorial for making the butterflies can be found here.




3. I LOVE this idea about an Easter Lenten Garden. You must read this tutorial about how to construct one.
I have not yet been able to make one of there, but am so hoping to next year!! Read about it here.

4. Oh my!! The "Family Box of Repentance". Another lovely, profound idea that we've incorporated in the past. See how the Lord speaks to a heart full of pride!! Go see it here.

5.  This week we talked about Jesus, as the Lamb of God, who took away the sin of the world.
We did have a little trouble with our lamb cake.....


........but it was pretty easy to fix.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts too.....