Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Women's Wellness Wednesday: Phytoestrogens

It has been awhile since I've posted about some of the things I've experienced in this journey with adenomyosis.
What a journey it has been!
But I'm so pleased to report that things have improved so much for me that I'm excited and feel burdened to share what I've learned with other women who may be experiencing the same symptoms I was!!
You can read here about this condition and what led me to discovering this is what I have.
Once I learned what it was that causing such a problem, I began researching how to treat it.
The first thing I learned about was something called xenoestrogens.
But once I got THAT thing figured out, I learned about something else in our environment that I needed to be aware of:  PHYTOESTROGENS!
Not only do those of us with estrogen dominance issues need to be aware of the estrogen mimicers in our environments (xenoestrogens), but also of those in plants we may be ingesting as well.  Hence the term, "phyto" estrogens.

Of course, the most notorious is soy.
Soy has long been known to have estrogen-like chemicals in it.
We try to be careful that our children are not getting extra hormones in animal products these days,
but are we aware that we can be replacing that when we give them an alternative like soymilk?
What about tofu or those things with soybean oil in it?

I've also been careful with the essential oils of lavendar and tea tree oil as well.
These are also known to be estrogen mimicers!!

And I hate to break it to ya.......I was mad about this myself......so does COFFEE!!
Just so you know.
For a list of specific phytoestrogens that I've been avoiding, check here.
To be fair though, it's always good to have other opinions, and I appreciate the information found here.
Either way, this is another way that I've been trying to be aware of what I'm putting in this one body that I've been given!!

1 comment:

Lily said...

Hi Brenda,

Thanks or sharing your experience. It's great to know there are others out there, but conversely awful that you've gone thru estrogen dominance as well. It's no easy dance, and most are completely unaware of how damaging it is, and how challenging to unravel. I strongly believe the future of our children and grandchildren is at great risk because of this very prevalent condition, which isn't just an issue for women, it's now reached men and even children. Unfortunately, man continues ruining Eden, so we only have our collective selves to blame. But at least a few of us moms are now aware, with the tenacity to change what we offer our families in the way of food, toiletries, cosmetics, cleaning products, etc.

Like you, I desire a proactive and natural approach, and had to overhaul my life to counteract all the excess estrogen, and reset my hormonal balance. It makes me so mad that endocrine disrupters and estrogen mimicking chemicals are in almost everything, making it such a chore to buy something as simple as toothpaste. But my efforts & changes have made a difference, and for that, it's worth it.

I wish you continued success and health.

God's Blessings,
Lily