Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Saturday, October 8, 2016

Friday's Fabulous Family Recipe: Pancakes!!

I LOVE pancakes!!


I could eat them everyday for breakfast.
I love them for dinner too.
I love them with fruit in them (i.e. strawberries, bananas, blueberries).
I love them with chocolate chips in them.
I love them spiced up with oatmeal and cinnamon.
Have you tried them topped with applesauce and cinnamon instead of the traditional syrup?
YUMMY!
What about topped with syrup and whipped cream or ice cream?
Oh. my!!!

I have always made my pancakes from scratch.
I think that I have used the Bisquick type pancake mix maybe once or twice, but it's sooo easy
to whip up your own that it never made sense for me to spend the money on that.
Plus, I have mixed all the dry ingredients together for the following recipe and put them
in serving size quantities into my freezer. Then all you have to do is add the liquid ingredients and you've made your own pancake mix!!
My recipe for pancakes is not unique to me or my family.
It was not handed down through generations of pancake makers.
I did not land the magic recipe from some bitter waiter at IHOP.
I got it from Betty.
Betty Crocker that it.
Page 30 in my cookbook.

It's a very basic quick bread recipe, but because it is so basic, I like to ramp up the goodness with a few of my own little touches.

Pancakes

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup (unsweetened, vanilla almond) milk
1 T. pure cane-sugar cyrstals or honey
2 T. olive oil
1 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

That's it. Pretty basic.
Beat egg until fluffy, and then beat in the remaining ingredients until smooth.
Heat up your griddle and pour a good size spoonful onto it.
Cook until bubbly on top. Flip it over and finish cooking it until nice and brown.
Serve while really hot with your favorite topping (fruit sauce, syrup, whipped topping, ice cream, etc.)

Here's what I like to add:

1. A splash of vanilla flavoring. The options are limitless on this one....maybe a little almond flavoring, or butter, or strawberry??? Mmmmm!

2. I like to toss in a couple of scoops of ground flax seed to boost up the Omega-3's for my children.

3. You could also toss in a scoop of quick oatmeal too, but I usually don't because of the texture issues my children have.

4. I really like my pancakes thick, so make sure you have fresh baking powder on hand. I also add just enough milk for the consistency of the batter to be a bit thick instead of very runny.

5.  Mini-chocolate chips!!!




5. I usually triple this recipe AT LEAST!! The bigger around your pancakes are,
the more batter you'll need if you're making for lots of hungry kids!!


ENJOY!!!!





No comments: