Saturday, March 27, 2010

Young girls and modesty

This subject has been on my mind lately as I have 4 girls of my own, the oldest of which is smack dab in the middle of puberty and is dabbling in finding a "style" of her own. I certainly have my own thoughts on this issue, but would like to share few things that I thought really beautifully encompassed what I feel is appropriate for ladies of all ages. Why try to put into words what someone else has, and so much better than I could have if I tried?
I do firmly believe that mommies and daddies must start right at the beginning with their little girls in teaching them about modesty. If your little girls are allowed to wear mini skirts that are so cute when they are toddlers, how are you going to take those away all of a sudden when they are twelve? If your little girl loves to wear, and is most comfortable in a little bikini swimsuit when she is four, I can guarantee you she'll not understand why it's such a big deal when she is 11. Why was it okay then and not now? I think we as parents have the greatest success in teaching our children principles when we are as consistent as we possibly can be with them all across the board. This applies to every other area of your life that you want your children to embrace as their own.

The first article I would like to share was written by a missionary lady I know.
I don't completely adopt all of her convictions as my own, but I certainly respect her
study of the Bible, and the thought she has put into developing her own standards of dress.
Her article can be found here.


This next website I found is a blog of another missionary lady who I have never met.
But she has a passion for a smart, beautiful, feminine, modest wardrobe, and has many blogs on this topic. She has lots of links to other great resources including places to purchase beautiful clothes, as well as ideas on how to put a great outfit together. I'll be letting my daughter peruse her website soon.
Click here to get to her blog and look through all her articles on "femininity and modesty."

The last article I'm linking you too is one that I blogged before. But it's just as good now
as it was then. I really LOVE this one. Click here.

No comments: