Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Relishing Summer

When we found some local businesses with little cards on their counters
 for free games of bowling, the kids all wanted to go.





"Mom, why does summer go so fast and the school days so slow?"
asked my very observant one.





Isn't that the way it always is?
As much fun as we've had since January, and all the things we've been able to do,
to accomplish, to experience, it was a bit of a blur.
I'm trying to be more intentional about our lovely summer days this year.
Taking more time to unplug and just spend slow time
focused on each other.
Relishing the moments and enjoying each other's company.




I recently read a friend's conversation on social media about
 learning how to slow down.
Someone made this poignant statement,
"Saying no to others is a yes to my family."

Even Jesus promoted this idea of taking time to relish and rest.

"He {Jesus} said unto them {his inner circle of disciples},
'Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place,
and rest a while.'
for there were many coming and going, and they {the disciples}
had no leisure so much as to eat."
~Mark 6:31

Ever blasted through your day and realized you missed lunchtime?
I'm remembering a camp director in my not-so-distant past
who admonished us camp counselors to be intentional about resting
on the weekends.
"Come apart, before you come a part."




When it did ever become Biblical to "burn the candle at both ends?"
To "burn yourself into the ground" for Jesus?
To be so frenetically busy that you feel spiritually and emotionally exhausted?
I can't find anywhere in scripture where that idea is taught.
We're intentionally savoring the moments this summer,
because the fall and schooling is coming!!

No comments: