Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Monday, May 8, 2017

Advanced Foods Class: The Korean Market

Right in the middle of our study of European and Asian foods,
I took my Advanced Foods class to the "H Mart" in Carrollton, Texas!
What an amazing cultural experience that was!!!

You walk into this huge warehouse sized shopping experience
and immediately you are overwhelmed.
The sights, the sounds, the smells!

I gave my students instructions on what they were to look for
and off they went while I browsed all over this Asian superstore!

If I learned anything as I was wandering around, it was this:
Americans are food snobs.
Our diets are intentionally limited.

We are pretty happy with about 5 different food choices and are unwilling
to try anything new and unusual simply because it's different.

I'm willing to bet the consequences of those attitudes
are reflected in the staggering amount of disease and prescription drug dependence
that is epidemic in the United States.

There were just shelves and shelves of squid.
And more varieties of fish than I even knew existed.
Fresh, frozen, freeze dried, honey coated......it was there.

There were so many different kinds of mushrooms and fruits
and vegetables that I had absolutely no idea what to do with.

Seaweed, fish balls, kimchi, rice, noodles, and other flavors 
I had never been exposed to!!

I was certainly intrigued by my lack of knowledge of how to prepare
and serve 99% of the items in that store.

It never ceases to amaze me the incredible variety that our Master Designer
gifted to us on this earth to display his creativity and love for us!!!
































No comments: