Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

A Happy Birthday Reprieve


Last week, bar none, was one of the single most difficult weeks
I can remember in a very long time.

There was just so much that had to be done as we finished up our rehearsals
and preparations for the Easter Drama our family had been involved
in since January.
Homeschooling, two birthdays, and our anniversary were all packed into this week.
Not to mention a major holiday celebration on Sunday.

On top of all that I was having some annoying health problems 
that were only getting worse the closer we got to performance day.

I had taken careful steps to try to lessen the stress levels of that week,
but I was NOT prepared for how heavy the onslaught would be.

But right smack in the middle of the week, Wednesday,
was Ashlyn's 17th birthday.

She had been talking about it for weeks.
Different ideas of what she wanted to do, where she wanted to go,
who she wanted to celebrate with.
It wasn't until a couple of days before the day that she finally had
a concrete picture in her mind of how she wanted to celebrate.

We agreed she could take the day off of her schoolwork,
and she decided she wanted to spend the day on the town.

We started the morning at our favorite local coffee house.
But I surprised her by secretly inviting one of her sweet friends to join us!!



After coffee, we had such a delightful time shopping for our Easter accessories
and capping that off with lunch together!!


After lunch, Ashlyn wanted to go back to the Korean market we had
visited with our Advanced Foods class the previous week,
and what a relaxing time we had perusing the local shops
and trying new treats.



In retrospect, isn't it just like our Good Shepherd 
to lead us to green pastures where we can lie down and rest? 
 Isn't it just like Him to lead us beside still waters?
To give us a break when the demands are heavy.
Maybe when we have no idea what is yet ahead?
To whisper, "Be still.  I am with you.  All is well."

In the middle of a hard Holy Week, I found a reprieve 
I didn't even realize I was going to need.
Goodness and mercy were following me.

Happy Birthday, Sweet Ashlyn!!

No comments: