Friday, December 2, 2016

Simple. Sane. Sacred: Homeschooling around the holidays

Thinking on this this year:  How to have a simple, sane....sacred Christmas.
I just love that thought.
I makes me heave a huge sigh of relief.
Things can get so crazy in December.
And just as we kick of this season of celebrating, it's hard not to get caught up in the frenzy that fills the air the day after we are being so thankful for all we have.
I want our home to be a place of peace....and fun!!
We love Christmas.....but I want us to keep our perspective and remember the reason we are celebrating anyway.
That always strips away the need to overdo, overspend.....all the overkill!!
Keeping it simple this year, and here are some thoughts about keeping the homeschooling meaningful but not overwhelming in December!!








When my children were younger, this didn't seem to be as overwhelming to me as it has become now that we have more students in our homeschool with a broader range of ages and needs.
Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, my to-do list gets longer and longer every day.
Not only are there the regular daily activities of washing and folding laundry, meal planning, meal preparation, care of sick children, lesson planning, and homeschooling, but throw in making gift lists, making gifts, trekking to the post office and mailing said gifts, extra choir/music rehearsals, wrapping gifts, planning Advent themed activities, and a plethora of extra Christmas dinners/gatherings to prepare for!
It can make one Mama lose the "joy of Christmas" and her mind real quick!!

But over time, I've learned that slowing down and simplifying make this time of year much more enjoyable for our entire family.
This December, I'm just keeping the children up with bare bones schooling......think "readin', writin' and 'rithmetic."
They are all involved with their individual choirs at church and have solos to memorize and speaking parts to learn for their Christmas programs.  Don't forget those extra rehearsals I mentioned earlier.
I count that as "Fine Arts."

In the next week or so, we'll be busy making all the goodies we usually make every year for gifts for all their friends and teachers {at church}.
You can click here to get a glimpse of crafts we have done in the past.
I count that as "Arts and Crafts," "Math," {figuring out how many of each we need to make}and "Family and Consumer Sciences."

This year, I want to get each of my children involved in creating and writing a Christmas letter complete with pictures.
I count that as "Creative Writing."

I love to read stories from "A Little House Christmas" while the children are working on seat work.
I count that as "History."

One of our favorite family traditions is going here!!
It just really brings to life for the children what was going on during the time Christ was born.
I count that as "Bible History."

There are so many other ways you can be creative in incorporating homeschool into what is already available in your community at Christmas time.  It's what makes memories!!

The article below addresses this topic even further, and was so encouraging to me!!




1 comment:

  1. Hi,


    Nice post and ideas for kids to tell them about life.keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts too.....