Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

National Diabetes Awareness Month: The Gift (of the Diagnosis)

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord.... to give you a future and a hope."
Jeremiah 29:11 (NASB)


"...our God turned the curse into a blessing."
Nehemiah 13: 2b (KJV)


"He (the Lord) hath sent me.....to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness.....that He might be glorified."
Isaiah 61:1, 3 (KJV)




{This picture was taken at our big birthday bonanza two months after her diagnosis.}


About 36 hours after Ashlyn was admitted to the hospital, the full
weight of her new lifestyle started to hit her. I could tell she
was very sad, almost depressed about it, and it worried me a little.
She was experiencing a lot of pain with the IV she had to have
and it was becoming quite traumatic for her.
When the nurse came in and told us they were going to have to
replace it because it "was going bad", she became nearly inconsolable.
It took the nurse 2 tries before we both had had enough, and
and we (Mom and Dad) told the nurses that that was it for now,
and that we weren't doing this anymore until later.
I put her in a warm bath and tried soothing her as best I could,
when through tears she asked me,"Why do I have to be the one with diabetes?"

At that moment, I prayed for wisdom, and at that moment, the Lord inaudibly whispered to me, "Esther."

I began retelling her the story of Queen Esther in the Bible.
I reminded her that Queen Esther was given something in her life that she didn't necessarily want either. She was forced from her family into an ungodly situation, having to do things she most likely didn't want to do, and having to marry someone whom she didn't necessarily want to. But the Lord revealed to her that He had a plan for her. 
Through her uncle, she was encouraged to think through the fate of her people in the hands of the man she married. Her uncle asked her, "....and who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?"
The Lord used this seemingly awful situation in Esther's life, this curse, if you would, to ultimately save her people and bring glory to Him. 
I told Ashlyn that the Lord has a purpose for her in having diabetes. We don't know what that purpose is right now, but we have to trust him, like Esther did, that we'll know in His timing.I believe firmly that our Sovereign Lord designs every person with a special purpose. It is our responsibility to discover what that purpose is through prayer, the study of God's Word, and through Godly counsel.
We each have a custom designed life message that is ultimately to bring glory to Him. Every life is precious to it's Designer and every life has a purpose.
Ashlyn's diabetes is just another chapter in her life message; a gift He gave her to use for His glory.
She has a precious story to tell with all the things that happen in her life, and we just can't wait to see how God is going to use this
this to point other people to Him

1 comment:

dickson57 said...

May God bless your witness to His grace in your family. You make your Momma & Daddy proud!