Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Friday, September 16, 2016

Friday's Fabulous Family Recipe: Chocolate Zucchini Cake


**This is a repost from the archives that definitely needs revisiting!**

Here, once again, I'm sharing one of my mom's recipes. This is a recipe that I've only ever seen my mother make and have never had it ever, anywh
ere other than at home. It deserves to be shared with the world.
While I was growing up my parents had a ginormous garden every year. It was something like a full acre.......for my parents and my sister and I. During the peak of the growing season we had tons of zucchini. (Who doesn't have tons of zucchini when they plant it......it's like a weed that just proliferates everywhere!) So in an effort to use it all up and get the most benefit from all this bounty of zucchini, my mom would experiment with all kinds of recipes. We would have things like zucchini lasagna (NOT one of my favorites), zucchini pie (like a quiche), zucchini relish (think like pickle relish),  zucchini bread (FAVORITE), stir-fried zucchini, and then other recipes would have zucchini added to it. For instance, zucchini would come floating up in veggie soups, it was added to spaghetti sauce, and then this recipe which I am about to share with you would surface. This is by far my MOST favorite way to use zucchini. I'm not sure if my mother created this recipe on her own, or fudged with an existing recipe, or got it from somebody else......but it's something I think only my Mom would try. I LOVED it. My children and husband don't even realize it has this lovely vegetable in it, and they inhale it almost as soon as it's out of the oven. Very moist because of the added zucchini and lovely flavor!! You've got to just try it to believe it!! DELISH!!


Chocolate Zucchini Cake

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. oil
1 3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. sour milk (or buttermilk)
2 1/2 c. flour
4 Tbs. baking cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves (optional)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. shredded zucchini
1 c. chocolate chips (or more to your liking)
1/4 c. chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat your oven to 325' and grease your 9 x13" baking pan.
 Cream together the butter,
oil, and sugar. Add the eggs, vanilla, milk and beat well.
 Sift together the flour, cocoa,
baking soda and powder, spices, and salt.
 Blend into liquid ingredients. Fold in the shredded zucchini. 
 Pour into your prepared 9 x 13" pan.




Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts over all.
 (I always omit the nuts due to allergies.)




Bake at 325' for 40 - 45 minutes. Let cool before slicing and eating. 
 If you can stand the amazing aroma.




(Can you see the little pieces of zucchini anymore? They magically blend in!!)

ENJOY!!!!



No comments: