Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Women's Wellness Wednesday: Sugar-free Chocolate!!

In 2009, several health challenges intruded our family.
Type 1 Diabetes, ADHD, and Hypothyroidism among the most challenging.
By the end of that year, I knew I had to get a handle on what was going on.
There had to be a better way to manage the bodies God had given to us,
and to work at preventing any further health issues from sending us cascading
down this slippery slope we all seemed to be on!

Thus began a journey to better health for myself as well as for my family.

I realized that it was imperative that I regained my health if I was going
to be able to function in my roles as Mama to six energetic, yet high maintenance, kids; 
As well as be able to serve the Lord of my life who has given me so much!

I was tired.
Tired of feeling tired.
Tired of feeling 14 steps behind the world.
At 40 years old.
That seemed ridiculous to me!!!

So I determined that enough was enough and I was going to do what
it took to feel better and to prevent myself from getting sicker and more reliant on the health care system, pharmacies, insurance, and medications.

You can read more about the beginnings of this journey here!

Over the last several years, I've discovered that a journey to better health
comes in layers.
We've changed a lot of what we eat here in our house, though
the junk-food monster is constantly peeking in our window, ringing our doorbell,
and generally hanging around trying to gain re-entry.
I'm ever learning how-to balance between crazy schedules and eating healthy at home,
and that staying sane and choosing good relationships with my children
over constant food battles makes for a more peaceful journey.

We have learned about the healthy benefits of using essential oils in our home
in place of chemical laden OTC medications and cleaning products.

Since the beginning of this year, I have been working with a chiropractor
in addressing my ongoing, continually worsening issues with what my 
OB-GYN has diagnosed as "mittelschmerz."
It causes debilitating pain and nausea for me, but is very hard to plan for
because it doesn't happen every month.
It is lasting longer and longer when it occurs which forces me to bed
wondering if maybe I indeed should be going to the ER.

We're learning so many things about the importance of probiotics for good gut health.
Gut health impacts many more health issues than I had ever imagined,
and I've barely scratched the surface in researching that.

This year, I'd like to highlight some of the amazing products that I've experimented with
along with journey and talk about them on Wednesdays.
So I'll be revisiting my posts titled:  Women's Wellness Wednesdays.

You can visit my other posts under that umbrella here.

Today, I'd like to introduce my new favorite chocolate!!
It is simply delicious.
Stevia can sometime have a medicinal or bitter aftertaste, 
but this does NOT!!
I highly recommend you try this.
As a little treat once in a while for yourself.
Not the entire bar in one sitting.
I noticed no cravings for more after eating a bit of it
and it has a lovely, smooth texture.

My chiropractor is helping me focus on no sugar right now as my A1C was
borderline Pre-Diabetic at my last blood work!
Crazy!!

So I'm looking for alternatives without artificial sweeteners like aspartame and phenylalanine (Nutra-sweet, Equal) or sucralose (Splenda).

Now I know this is not the perfect food.
Is there really one?
Somebody, somewhere can always find something wrong with everything!!!

But I think that if you want a treat now and then, suggest this to your family and friends
as an option to other store-bought candies!



1 comment:

I would love to hear your thoughts too.....