Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Women's Wellness Wednesday: Komboucha!!


So, funny story.
A couple years ago, a friend of mine asked me to try some of her homemade komboucha.

For those of you unaware of what this is,
it's a fermented "tea" that begins with a "scoby" and ends up as a tasty, fizzy drink.
It is full of great probiotics as a result of this fermentation process.
Some people have mastered making it in their kitchens.
Some of us have not.

As I stood in her kitchen and took a sip, my eyes widened.
"I'm afraid she doesn't know what's going on here," I thought to myself,
"This is Mamie Baldwin standing here looking at me.
This is nothing more than the recipe! {of the TV show The Waltons}
She's making moonshine!!"


Since that time though, I've been learning how our gut health basically affects
every system in our body including our immune system.
Poor gut health being implicated as a contributing factor to autoimmune diseases,
Type 2 Diabetes, allergies, and neurological issues.

One of things that I'm learning have clear benefits for our gut health is the addition
of probiotics to our nutrition.
There are several ways you can do that:

yogurt
fermented foods
supplements
komboucha
homemade bone broth

When our intestinal flora is healthy, it makes sense that our immune systems would
be better equipped to fight off a variety of illnesses.
My family has not had a bout with a stomach virus in several years,
but we have had a sick one or two here and there.
Usually after an overdose of junk food or sugary things.

Once their tummies have settled, I immediately start them back up on extra doses
of probiotics as well as the rest of the family as a preventative measure!!

The brand of komboucha pictured above is my favorite!
It comes in lots of different flavors with the gingerberry, cosmic cranberry, strawberry serenity
 and passionberry bliss being my favorites so far!!

They usually run a little over $3.00 at our local health food store, but I've seen them at Kroger
and Wal-Mart as well.
My local Wal-Mart has stopped carrying them though.

It should be very fizzy when you open it but is fine if it's not.
Be prepared for your taste buds to flip out as it's pretty tart upon first gulp.

But you'll get used to it.
Never mind the floaties in it either.
That's part of the "scoby" that is very good for you.
You can't even tell you're drinking the floaties unlike the drinks with the chia seeds in it.
Way too much texture for me!!!

This is a great alternative to drinking soda or pop and is much healthier for you.
Low in carbs and sugar!

If you're looking for ways to eliminate sweetened drinks from your diet
or if you're looking for a way to support your body's overall health,
give komboucha a try!!!

Here are some great articles to research if you're interested in reading more about the amazing benefits of good gut health and how to achieve that:

"Neurologist speaks out about the importance of gut health......"










1 comment:

  1. I am definitely going to give it a try. I'll check our local Walmart and see if they carry it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts too.....