Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

When trusting God in an intentional action

The other day was my birthday.
As a mom of several young children, you quickly realize that these little babies don't know how to celebrate their Mom's birthday simply because they are little.
I'm stating the obvious here, but they can't drive themselves anywhere to buy you a gift.
They have no money of their own.
They can't bake you a cake, or even make a card for you without help or permission to drag out the craft supplies.
They don't know where to start in making breakfast in bed for you.
But they want to.
Children love to celebrate anything.
Especially a special day for their Mama.
They will joyfully sit next to you while you open a gift.
They will be thrilled to eat cake and ice cream with you.
Yes, because they love it for themselves, but also because they know it really pleases you!!
Oh, the simple faith of a child.



I've often wondered if our children aren't given to us simply to be concrete visuals of what an authentic Believer, a born-again Christian really looks like.
I'm a visual learner.
I need instruction books.....with pictures.
Give me a picture and I know immediately how to assemble something.

"....without faith it is impossible to please Him {God}, for He who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him." 
Hebrews 11:6

But this?
How do we really PLEASE God?
How do I please GOD?

Who IS God?  For when we come to Him, we must believe that He IS.
Who IS He?
What does His character tell us about Him?







  1.  He is faithful to us.  Lamentations 3:22,23 and Deuteronomy 7:9
  2.  He is Truth.  He cannot lie.  John 14:6 and Titus 1:6
  3.  He is the embodiment of love. He IS love. I John 4:8  We cannot be separated from His love.  Romans 8: 38, 39;  I Corinthians 13
  4.  He is victorious.  He has conquered the power of sin.  I Corinthians 15: 56, 57
  5.  He is Omni-Present.  He is always with us.  He will never leave our side. Hebrews 13:5 and Isaiah 41:13
  6.  He is Everlasting.  Isaiah 40: 28 and Jeremiah 10:10
  7.  He is my Creator, my Designer. Genesis 1:1;  
These qualties simply scratch the surface of the multi-faceted nature of our Mighty God.
These are just the basics.

When we know these things about Him, why then would we ever doubt Him?

Fear is simply denying the existence of God in our lives.

Why do I ever worry about anything then?

I have a hard time believing someone who says they have "faith in God," says they are saved, says they love Jesus,  on the surface, lives a squeaky clean, Christian life,  reads their Bible and goes to church 3 or more times a week,  tithes regularly to their local church,  separates themself from everything they think the world will contaminate their testimony with, but yet STILL does nothing tangible for the cause of Christ because they worry.
They sit around with way too much time on their hands masterfully creating scenarios that haven't even happened and then talk about them too much and worry about the ramifications of said fabricated scenarios.

But it will cost too much.
What if I get sick?
I don't like to stand in front of people and talk.
I can't sing.
I'm too old.
I've never done anything like that before.
What if I get hungry because I don't like the food?
I have nothing to offer....I have no performance talents.
I'll get too tired.
What if I can't sleep?
I'm just too busy and won't have time.

But we sing that "He owns the cattle on the thousand hill.  The wealth in every land."
But we pray to our "Great Physician."
But we don't really believe that God can use anyone regardless their age or skill set.
But we don't really believe that He will meet all our needs.
We don't want to learn that sometimes what we think we need is simply what we want.
We don't want to step out of our comfort zone to experience Christ in a way we never have.
We simply don't believe that "The Sovereign Lord is my strength;  He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, He enables me to go on the heights."  Habakkuk 3:19

We simply do not trust Him.

We say we have faith in God, yet we don't put feet to those words.
We constantly find excuses to say "No, Lord.  Not me."

Maybe because we have a lot of knowledge about God, but we do not have intimacy with God.
Because if we really knew Him, understood His character, and all that He is, if we really had tasted of Him and His transforming grace, we could trust Him.  Never doubt Him.

Maybe you felt that in the past you DID trust Him but He failed you miserably.
In a horrible way.
You'll never do that again.
God always has a way of surprising us.
Of bringing us to unplanned destinations, to meet people along the way that we never would have met before who needed US, and to show Himself to us in ways we never would have expected!
That reward just looks a little different than what we imagined!!

We say we want our lives to be pleasing to Him.

"....without faith it is impossible to please Him {God}, for He who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him." Hebrews 11:6


Say YES! to that short-term mission trip.
Say YES! to that slightly frightening volunteer position.
Say YES! to tithing that 10% that really is His anyway.
Say YES! to helping in your church's children programs.
Say YES! to having a weekly neighborhood prayer meeting in your home.
Say YES! to another child if God has prompted you to that.
Say YES! to yet another change.
Say YES! to God.

Leave the results to Him.  Leave the provision up to Him.  Leave the problem-solving up to Him.
Leave the weakness up to Him. 

Faith is an intentional action.  Not a bunch of meager words.
Open your hands to Him.  Look at how much He has blessed you, how much you have to give.
Say YES!











1 comment:

Donna said...

Happy belated birthday, Brenda. This post is a good reminder for me.