Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Lies Christians Believe: "God will never give you more than you can handle."

I remember days in my not too distant past when I would wake up feeling like I hadn't slept at all.




Exhausted barely described how I felt.
Before I could even crack my eyes open I was overwhelmed with what I knew I would be facing that day.
With a newly diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic who was not quite 9 years old, I would have to intentionally think through every morsel of food that went into her mouth.  I would have to look up in a book how many carbohydrates were in that half a banana and then draw up the insulin into the syringe that would cover that many carbs.  For every meal.  Three meals a day plus snacks.
Then there would be the homeschooling.
The 12-year old who was more interested in painting everything in front of her than doing her chores, much less her English lessons.
The aforementioned 9 year old.
A 7 year old boy who woke up and immediately hit the ground running....in circles.....and jumping on everyone simply for the response.
A sweet, gentle, helpful 5 year old who simply looked for ways she could assist.
The funny 2 year old, and the 1 year old.
To make everything even easier, my husband was still working the night shift and would stumble into bed at 6:30 am and need the house quite for sleeping until around 3 pm.
All while we're living in a 1400 square foot house.
With 2-hours of laundry to do and meals to prepare and diapers and potty training.
Some days it felt like the world was simply whizzing by me and I could not keep up.


I would hear a voice in my head that said, "God will never give you more than you can handle."
"I'm sorry.  What?  Would you repeat that?" my own voice would answer.
"God will not give you more than you can handle."

At that moment, I honestly admit to my shame that I felt resentful.
"Well, if God won't give me more than I can handle, then why did He give me all this?"
"I certainly did not ask for all this.  Look around here.  It's a mess.  I clearly can NOT handle all this by myself.  And I don't see anyone pounding down my door offering to help."

I clearly remember reading a scripture verse one morning and being completely baffled by it.
It almost seemed like it was in a different language because it absolutely did not line up with my reality.

"Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, 
for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."


Matthew 11:28-30



My yoke is EASY?
My burden is LIGHT?

What on earth is that like?
This is NOT easy and this is NOT a light burden.

But God cannot tell a lie (Titus 1:2).
So what am I missing here?


I kept reading.
Because I wanted to believe this, but just couldn't figure out how I was supposed to do all this.
I came on another scripture:

"Cast your burden on the Lord and HE will sustain you..."
Psalm 55:22




He will sustain you.

"For I am the Lord your God, who upholds your right hand,
Who says to you, 'Do not fear, I will help you.'"
Isaiah 41:13

No where in scripture does it say that we won't have struggles.
No where in scripture does it say it's heroic to do it all without any help.
But the Lord did say HE would be our help.
He will be aware of our struggles, the things that overwhelm us, and He will shoulder the load.
I began slowly letting go of all the peripheral things that I had taken on that were not a priority for survival.
We had recently changed churches and I remember feeling like I was in recovery mode.
I did not throw myself into ANY church ministry.  Even the ones I loved.
I simply took my kids to church and sat and soaked in the worship.
I needed that one hour a week to just hear the Lord speak to me as He does quietly.

I stopped feeling like I had to have the house perfectly clean and mess-free to be a good Mom.
I learned to focus on the UNSEEN priorities.
The ones like reading to my children, quieter bedtimes, quiet time for my sanity in the morning before anyone was awake.
I learned that it was ok to say "No."

It was then that I saw it.
HIS yoke is easy.
Not that one that I picked up and put on every morning with all it's demands.
But the one that HE designed for me.
Plus, He is on the other side of that yoke......shouldering the load with me.


"Take my yoke upon you, and learn from Me,
for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."
Matthew 11:29

Yes, God does allow us to receive more than we can handle.
So that He can be what we need!

No comments: