Tuesday, March 10, 2015

How does God see my ADHD child?

In the past I have mentioned that I believe my Heavenly Father has a purpose for each of my children. I believe that each and every human being is created by a Master Creator and has been given a divinely appointed purpose for their life.

"Then the word of the Lord came unto me, saying,
'Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee;
and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee,
and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.'"
Jeremiah 1:5

I love how the prophet, Jeremiah, relates to us that the Lord God had a plan for him even before he was born. Many, many people walk this planet with no knowledge of a God who loves them and has a specific purpose for their life, and they believe that they are here just to live it up, make money, and die. What a hopeless, miserable life that would be. Especially if you are living with an incurable disease, or birth "defect", or syndrome, or disorder of some kind. It offers me GREAT hope for my children. Many places I have read that people who grow up with ADHD have a higher risk for promiscuity, addictions, job losses, divorce, and jail time. But I know that God has a plan for my children.

First and foremost, He loves them and His plan is for their salvation.

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God:"
Romans 3:23

"For the wages (payment that must be paid) of sin is death (eternal);
but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
Romans 6:23

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead,
thou shalt be saved.

"For whosoever (put your name there) shall call upon the name of the Lord
shall be saved."
Romans 10:9,13

Second, His plan is that they honor and glorify Him because of what He did for them through salvation.

"For we are His workmanship,
created in Christ Jesus for good works,
which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."
Ephesians 2:10

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God,
that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God,
which is your reasonable service."
Romans 12:1

Third, He will use ANYONE!!

"But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise;
and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
and base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen,
yea and the things which are not, to bring to naught things that are:"
I Corinthians 1:27,28

"But the Lord said unto Samuel,
Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature;
because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth;
for man looketh on the outward appearance,
but the Lord looketh on the heart."
I Samuel 16: 7

I'm so encouraged by that last Scripture verse, because it is right out of the story of the man this post is named for. David is one of my very favorite Bible characters and I always hoped I would be able to name one of my sons after him. In the last several days, I have been thinking about and reading through the story of David and have found such tremendous encouragement!!!
When you read through the list of issues in my previous post that children with ADHD are challenged or gifted with every day, I can see so many of those characteristics in young David.
I'm certainly not saying that David had ADHD, nor am I saying that the stories of him that clearly show the miraculous power of Almighty God through him can be explained away or attributed to the side effects of a neurological disorder. But what I AM saying is that it is so encouraging to see that even though David had his weaknesses and struggles in life, that He was called "a man after God's own heart." Even though my children may look like they have insurmountable problems, God can use them too......in ways I can never imagine.

Just look at this story of David and the Giant, Goliath, from I Samuel 17:
  1. vs. 20 "And David rose up early in the morning"......(don't all ADHD boys wake up early and hit the ground running?)
  2. vs. 20 "...and left the sheep with a keeper......(David loved being outdoors most of the time working with animals; he was a shepherd)
  3. vs.20 "....and took and went, as Jesse had commanded him; and he came to the trench, as the host was going forth to the fight, and shouted for the battle. (my ADHD son LOVES to be shouting and playing war games and seeing anything exciting like that)
  4. vs. 22 "And David left his carriage in the hand of the keeper of the carriage and ran into the army..."(always running)
  5. vs. 23 Goliath (the giant warrior of the enemy Philistine army) shows up and starts talking trash to the Israelite army where David's brothers were. All the Israelite soldiers run in fear and David turns his head as they run by and he says, "...who is this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should defy the armies of the living God?" (Funny how our ADHD children say exactly what they think of people even when it makes us cringe)
  6. vs. 28 So his oldest brother gets upset at David when he hears him questioning the soldiers about Goliath...."and Eliab's anger was kindled against David, and he said, 'Why camest thou down here? and with who did you leave those few sheep in the wilderness? I know thy pride, and the naughtiness of thine heart; for thou art come down that thou mightest see the battle?" (Can't you just imagine that response from the older brother of a boy with ADHD? Again, not saying that David did, but it's interesting to imagine that?)
  7. vs. 32 So David goes and tells the king of Israel, Saul, not to worry, that he (David) would fight the giant himself. (ADHD=Risk-takers)
  8. vs. 37 "David said moreover, The Lord that delivered me out of the paw of the lion, and out of the paw of the bear, he will deliver me out of the hand of this Philistine." (my ADHD daughter often has a vision of what she wants to accomplish and is undeterred by the obstacles in front of her)
  9. vs. 40 "And he took his staff in his hand, and chose him five smooth stones out of the brook, and put them in a shepherd's bag which he had, even in a scrip; and his sling was in his hand; and he drew near to the Philistine." (ADHD children so think outside of the box; they creatively come up with unlikely solutions to problems)
  10. Of course, we know that David killed Goliath with God's help by outsmarting him and using the skills he had been honing while outside with the sheep, and he eventually ended up living in the palace of the king which prepared him for being king one day......who would've thought?

Some other correlations I see between the life of David and the person living with ADHD:

  • He seemed to love being outdoors whether as a shepherd or a warrior.
  • He was both musically gifted and a poetic genius.
  • He was quick on his feet and had to run for his life several times.
  • He seemed to be a charming, engaging person.
  • He seemed to be somewhat impulsive at times, but especially in his lust and ensuing sin with Bathsheba, and then in the consequential murder of Bathsheba's husband.
  • He had a kind heart. He spared the life of Saul 2 different times when he went after David to kill him.

"And when he (God) had removed him (Saul), he raised up unto them David to be their king;
to whom also he gave testimony, and said,
'I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfill all my will.

Of this man's seed (David's) hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour,
Jesus."
Acts 13: 22,23


I just love that Jesus is not referred to in the Bible as the "Son of Abraham" or the"Son of Jacob", but as the "Son of David."
God chose David to be linked to Jesus.
Luke 3:23-31,32-38

Now who's to say that this same God doesn't have a plan for my children too??



No comments: