Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Simple. Sane. Sacred: "It is more blessed to give than to receive.." Acts 20:35

We are so blessed. Some days I fret over the things that I think my children need that we cannot supply for them. Then I fret over all the "stuff" we have piled here, there, and everywhere. Toys have a way of cluttering up our lives and stressing me out. They get played with for a few days, parts get lost, batteries run down, and I'm sliding across the linoleum on some little piece of something. Last year, I decided that instead of just filling up our house with more stuff like that, I wanted my children to learn how to let go of some things that they don't even appreciate anymore, and share with other children who are much less fortunate. We are going to do this EVERY year now. It's AWESOME!!!

In our town, an organization collects used toys and puts them all together in a sort of "store" where 10 families from each of the 9 public schools have been given vouchers to go pick up some toys at no cost to them. These are families recommended to them by school personnel who are chosen as in "desperate need." I was so encouraged to know that our family was having a part in encouraging nearly 90 families who are struggling and broken-hearted because they have no way of shopping for and choosing something really special for their child.


Obviously my girls were excited about it too!!






No comments: