Friday, November 9, 2012

Another gift (Part 1)......Reading Terminal Market

We honored my grandmother's amazing life on that Friday.
That evening, while relaxing together in my hotel room, my sister said, "So, do you want to go downtown tomorrow?"
I JUMPED at that.
It had been decades since I had been to downtown Philadelphia, and since then I've taught an 18th century unit study to my children in which we learned much about the importance of this city as our country was just laying its foundations.
I was thrilled to get the chance to go back and revisit some of those historic landmarks.....and with my sister!

Oh, the fun and laughing we had!
We jumped the free shuttle from my hotel to the nearby little train station, and off we went.
Can I just say that public transportation in these large cities is AH-mazing?!




I loved the architecture of this little station.

My sister and my cousin (doing his best George Costanza impersonation) trying to keep warm while waiting for the train.

And it's true.
That Philadelphia is "The City of Brotherly Love."
We weren't exactly sure where we needed to get off the train (since it made a dozen stops on that line), but a very nice couple sitting next to us took it upon themselves to guide us in the right direction.
We were so grateful as it would have taken us a long time trying to figure out where we needed to go!
This is what we saw when we walked out of our stop.



At the corner of Market and 12th.


We were right around the corner from the famous Reading Terminal Market, and my cousin insisted we see that.
WOW!!  Amazingness!!
If you have the chance to visit Philly, you must find your way there!
It's like an enormous indoor food court/farmer's market with counters and stands of all kinds!
We had just the best time wandering around and taking in the atmosphere and sounds of this place!


Phenomenal Candy Counter





(Seriously?!?  Who would eat this?  Wait....don't answer that.)



I am not a fish lover.  This counter grossed me out!








I LOVED seeing all the Amish stands.  Such innovative, hard working people.
I was told they are all from Lancaster County (about 1.5 hours or more away).
They ride together in a van driven by someone else.
Can't exactly park a horse and buggy on the street of downtown Philly.





Was excited to try this out........

 ........except it was closed!  Go figure!!


 .......so I opted for THIS for lunch instead....








Me and my sis!
(Notice the piano guy over my left shoulder who was jazzing things up a bit?
Awesome!!)


***More of this great day tomorrow**

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts too.....