Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

An unexpected gift......Philadelphia (Part 4)

My intention in going to Philadelphia was to spend just as much time as I possibly could with my grandmother.
Afterall, she is 96, and it's not just "over the river and through the woods" to her home!
This was a once-in-a-lifetime trip and I wanted to make the most of every minute!
So as I sat next to her wheelchair on that Saturday afternoon, she asked me if I wanted to go to church the next morning.
Of course I did, but I was wondering if she would be able to go (not quite yet), and how I would find my way there.
She called up her life-long friend, Bonnie, who graciously agreed to come pick me up at 10 am.
So it was all set.

What a joy to worship with that small community of believers at Llanarch Hills Chapel.



There was no Sunday School that morning since the teacher was out-of-town, but Bonnie started quietly, reverently playing the organ at 10:45 am.
I don't think we left until 12:45.
What a beautifully refreshing service that had no time constraints.
No one was in a rush to "get through" the service.
Bonnie's husband led the singing, and at one point encouraged the congregation to seek out stillness.
He pointed out how difficult it is in our culture to find a peaceful place.
"It doesn't just come to us.  You have to seek it out," he said.
I was reminded that during my little trip here, I had the opportunity to just be quiet.....not hurried.
That in the stillness.....is where we learn who God is.
To sit in His presence and be comforted.
"Be still, and know that I am God."
Psalm 46:10


I am so glad for the quiet and peace I was able to enjoy on this trip because no one could have prepared me enough for the impeding storm that I would step right into upon returning home in the next few days.

No comments: