Thursday, March 1, 2012

{You CAN} Teach Your Child Thursdays: Makaziville

My children LOVE video games.
I suppose almost all children do.
I am not a huge fan.
There is a style of homeschooling that some folks swear by called "unschooling."
We could not follow that.
If we did, we'd be experts and champions at video games.
I'm always trying to figure out how to reduce the amount of time my children spend in front of the computer
or the Xbox......timers, threats, loss of game time, charts, power outages, library trips, chores, you name it.
But recently, I discovered a wonderful game online that I don't mind if my children spend time playing.
In fact, I encourage it.
It's great for rewards.
"You finished your schoolwork so soon?  30 minutes of.....Makaziville for you!!"

Have you seen this?
It's new.
Makaziville.

I love it.
It's a virtual mission village that your children build by earning coins and objects by playing fun, quick games,
having their "devotions," watching clips of different missionaries at work, and doing things with you as the parent.
My children just LOVE it.
It's not boring at all, and they are so enjoying moving to higher levels and earning more and more interesting things like giraffes and hospitals and churches and different kinds of vehicles.
I also like that every. single. thing your child plays or learns about, you as the parent, receive an email update about with tips on how to further talk with your child about what they are learning.
It's really amazing for warming your child's heart to the idea of Bible translation for "forgotten people."
It's really the most fun for children who are of reading age and up.
My 4 and 5 year olds would enjoy some of the games, but most of them require a working reading ability.

Try it out.
It's free.
Click on the picture below to try it:




2 comments:

  1. Brenda, thanks so much for sharing about your family's experience on MakaziVille. We're so glad to hear it's been beneficial. Please say hello to your kids from the folks at OneVerse. Blessings!

    -Johanna, Social Media Coordinator, The Seed Company|OneVerse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johanna,
    Thank you for this truly delightful learning experience with such a missions minded message. It has been a wonderful blessing in our home!!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts too.....