Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Friday, December 23, 2011

Friday's Fabulous Family {Christmas} Recipe!! Cranberry Orange Struesel Muffins

Since moving toward a more plant-based diet with waaaaaaaay less processed food and sugar, I was looking for some alternatives to our traditional Christmas breakfast of cinnamon rolls from the can.
They are pretty and all.......
so easy to put together on a busy morning.....
and druglike in their addictive qualities.....
can you say......sugar buzz??
So I found these this week,
and whipped up a batch......
and they are just a bite of heavenly!!!




**  As a disclaimer:
These muffins still have plenty of sugar in them, but you can reduce that amount and still offset
the tartness of the cranberries.
I substituted whole wheat pastry flour for the white flour,
olive oil for the canola oil (I also tried it with applesauce in place of oil if you go with no oil),
and water for the milk (you could also replace the cow's milk with almond milk......I was just out of it).
You could also skip the confectioner's sugar glaze poured over the streusal to additionally cut down
on some of the sugar.
It's almost better without it!!

You can find the recipe here along with some prettier pictures than mine!!  ;)

No comments: