Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Back-to-school: Short on wall space?

As I was preparing for a new season of learning, I was trying to think of new ways to freshen up our tired, little school space.
Doesn't every teacher want to decorate her classroom for a new school year??

We don't have the luxury of an entire room that we could dedicate just to our schooling.
We use a room that has multiple functions in our home.
It is also our main dining area with a large table and 8 chairs.
The piano is in this room, as well as our computer.
When you walk through our front door, this is the room you enter.
I just don't want to take down the entire collection of family pictures on the wall to make space for posters and other fun things to see, so I remembered this idea I saw at a friend's house.



I put both the leaves in my table and laid out several posters I already had, plus a few I picked up at the dollar store.
Then I purchased a sheet of clear, plastic vinyl from Wal-Mart.
It was in the craft section folded in a 54" by 9 ft. sheet.
I just laid that sheet of vinyl flat over all the posters and stapled it to the bottom of my table.
I know that not many people are ready to use heavy duty staples on the underneath of their dining table, but I can't have it sliding off.
This way, it's super easy to clean....no glue mess after our lapbooking projects.
And if we're having a special dinner, I can just cover it up with a fancy table cloth!!



I'm not exactly sure why I didn't think of this years ago!!!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Thank you so much for sharing how you did this! I went to walmart and got the plastic and tried it on my table with our posters. LOVE it!!!! The kids think its the best thing in the world :)

Brenda said...

I'm so glad you were inspired to try it!!