Friday, May 6, 2011

Friday's Fabulous Family Recipe.....A Double Header!!

Today I include not one, but two new recipes that have become favorites in our house over the last couple weeks.
The first is a recipe that was shared with me by a sweet friend who is married to one of my husband's fellow police officers.  When she shared on her facebook that she had made a crockpot full of this, I knew IMMEDIATELY that I would love it!!
And I did.....and still do......and so does my husband.
He's crazy about it, and never complains that I make it once a week now!!
Several of my children enjoy it too.
My "texturally challenged" eaters....not so much.....too much goin' on in one pot all at the same time!!
I love this too because it adheres to all of the diet changes we implemented a while ago.....no high fructose corn syrup, gluten free (though we're not gluten free.....more gluten-reduced), no artificial dyes, not a lot of sugars, and lower in carbs!!  Of course, it is high in sodium so be careful!
So without further adieu........
Debbie's Chicken Tortilla Soup

Gather together:

1 family size can of Chicken and Rice Soup
2 (15 oz.) cans of chicken broth
1 can of Rotel
1 (15 oz) can of sweet corn
1 (15 oz) can of black beans
1 (15 oz) can of original Ranch style beans
2 Large cans of chicken breast 
(Debbie suggested cutting up a deli rotisserie chicken, and that
is what I do.  Delicious.  Add as much chicken as you like!)

Drain only the corn and the black beans.



Empty all the other cans into your crockpot and then add the drained corn and black beans,
and your chopped chicken.
Since it all is already cooked through, you only need leave it in the crockpot until warmed through.
Mine will warm it nicely on high in about 3 hours.
If you need it warmed quicker, you can follow the same instructions in a soup pot on the stove.
Or you could leave the house in the morning, turn the crockpot on low and have it ready
for lunch!!



Serve with shredded cheese and tortilla chips!!


 Warning:  Highly addictive!!!
Enjoy!


Okay, so this instantly became my new FAVORITE edible spring craft this year!!
I saw the recipe for this cutie little child-friendly treat in the April-May 2011 edition of Taste of Home magazine, and knew right away that we needed to add this to our repertoire of fun things to do to celebrate the spring season!!  I'm tucking this idea away for NEXT spring too.
Next year, I'd like to really concentrate on separating out the celebrating and enjoying the "Season of Spring" from Resurrection Sunday.
As I'm getting older, I'm learning to appreciate at an even deeper level the ultimate gift of God that is salvation from the penalty of our sin and the corruption it infects us with which results in permanent separation from our Holy Elohim.
At Easter, which I'm preferring to call Resurrection Sunday, we celebrate and rejoice in the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the grave in which he was buried three days after His crucifixion for our sin.
If He hadn't risen, then all He had promised would be a lie.  Everything He said He was and His purpose for coming to this earth would have become void.
It has become much more sacred, much more of a lavish demonstration of God's grace and love to us, that I'm becoming more inclined not to confuse it with chocolate bunnies and jelly beans.  
Certainly not with colored eggs!
I'm leaning more towards keeping that Sunday a precious day, full of joy and awe at the wonder of His power.

But I still think it's so much fun to celebrate the turning of the season from winter to spring, and enjoying the gorgeous pictures of this new life found in Christ (life from out of the grave of our sin!!)!
So I'm collecting ideas for next year and a "Spring Fling" to have with our children either before or maybe even after we remember Resurrection Sunday!!
This idea is on the top of the list!!

Bird Nests

Here is what you'll need:

2 packages of white baking chips (10 oz. each)
10 oz. package of pretzel sticks
25 Peep candy birds
Candy eggs (can be the malted chocolate eggs, jelly beans, etc.)


Melt 2 packages of white baking chips.
(I only used one because I didn't need that many nests!!)

Stir the package of pretzel sticks into chocolate until well coated.



Scoop 25 nests onto waxed paper (or tin foil, if you're out....like me!!);
use two forks to arrange coated pretzels into a circle.
Dip a peep candy into some of the melted white chocolate and place onto each nest.
Arrange the candy eggs onto the nest while the chocolate is still warm
so they will stick to the nest.
Makes 25 if you follow the recipe and use all the white chocolate 
and the entire bag of pretzels.
(We only did about half the recipe and still had enough to share with our neighbors!!)




 



You can see this idea also at Taste of Home,
as well as at Mommy's Kitchen!!
(You can click on those names to reach their website!)

No comments: