Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Our final birthday in April

April has always been a delightful month for our family.
When my husband and I decided on a date to get married way back in 1995, I thought April was perfect!
It felt "spring-like" to me with all the flowers and pastels and pretty spring things in the stores.
Tulips and pink everywhere.
Like new life and a fresh start were bursting out everywhere after the long winters!
My husband's birthday was the day after our wedding day, so that immediately made it fun.
I grew up with my sister and my mom also having their birthdays during that month.
So I felt right at home when I found out our second child would be born in April.
That settled it for me, and I was thrilled with the idea of having all our babies in April, and sure enough,
our third child was born 2 years later in April.

He turned 9 this last Friday!
I remember the exact moment my OB/GYN looked at the sonogram and told me we were having a boy.
I couldn't believe it.
I really, honestly, always thought I would have 4 girls, one after the other, and we would live happily ever after.
I couldn't imagine what to do with a boy.
I thought boy clothes were so boring.
And I know nothing about sports or cars or fishing or hunting.
What would I teach him about?
I was pretty sure boys were not interested in cake decorating or tea parties or nail polish or shoes!!
But when the doctor laid that 8lb. 6oz. baby boy on my belly for the first time, I was IN LOVE!
I thought he was the single most gorgeous baby boy I had ever laid eyes on.
(And I STILL think that!!)
But what a journey we've been on with him over the last 9 years.
His ADHD has taught us so much about ourselves and where we need to do better as parents, and has forced us to depend moment by moment on the Lord for patience, endurance, wisdom, and understanding.
We have learned so much about how God has wired the ADHD brain that we can almost pick them out in a crowd!!
We are so thankful for what the Lord has taught us about Himself, His relationship with us as His children, and how He has a very specific purpose for how He makes each of us unique.

Happy 9th Birthday, Grant!!


Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
This free digital slideshow generated with Smilebox



No comments: