Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Journey: a plateau

Plateau:  From "Wikipedia"

In geology and earth science, a plateau, also called a high plain or tableland, is an area of highland, usually consisting of relatively flat terrain. A highly eroded plateau is called a dissected plateau. A volcanic plateau is a plateau produced by volcanic activity.








Another definition of a plateau:  Taken from "Dictionary.com"

a period or state of little or no growth or decline: to reach plateau in one's career




And finally from the "Calorie King" website:


If after losing weight successfully for some time, you reach a point where the number on the scale suddenly refuses to budge - sometimes for a number of weeks - you're said to have hit a "plateau".


After about 9 weeks of continual, gradual weight-loss, I hit my first plateau!!  Thankfully, the little challenges that you read through each week on the "Calorie King" program had already discussed this rather frustrating phenomena, so I wasn't too upset about it.  I just kept going.  Moving ahead like I had been doing and journaling my calories everyday, and exercising whenever I could.  Sure enough, the following week gave me another 1 pound loss.  


Two things became so clear to me almost immediately into this journey.  Weight loss is not (and should not be) this dramatic downward slide to 10 or 20 pounds of weight loss.  It is a slow gradual stair step down of consistent and purposeful retraining of yourself.  It comes slowly.  When you slip into old habits, you get back on track and continue to move forward in the things you have been learning.


It struck me how much this is exactly like my walk with the Lord.
  
There have been times in my life when I had time to consistently read God's Word on a daily basis, spend time in prayer, and memorize His Word.  
I knew my heart was searching for His leading in my life in every decision I faced at the time.
I felt like I was growing in my understanding of Him and His ways.
But then, something would change.
A new job.
A new schedule.
A new marriage to my husband.
A new lifestyle.
A new baby.
A new diagnosis.
I let those bumps in my life interrupt or stagnate my walk with the Lord.
I needed to keep on "in the things I had learned."
When I wasn't able to spend time with the Lord like I needed, I reached a plateau.
Where I wasn't growing or learning more and more about Him every day.
Where I wondered what was wrong.


But through this process, I remembered to get back to what I knew.
That's the answer.
To just keep on keeping on.
Do the right thing.
Do the things you know have been successful for you in the past.
Get back on track.
Get off the plateau.
Try something new to keep things fresh.
A new delicious, low-cal smoothie.
A new time in your day for your quiet time with the Lord.
Add some quiet music or a cup of coffee.


Work on your own version of a "Plateau Buster" and 
keep on going!!
Your body will forgive you and settle back in to weight loss.
My Heavenly Father extends grace.







2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say that your blog is a blessing to me. I have been asking the Lord for a blog or two to help turn my heart in the right direction in some areas; but, be one I could enjoy. Sometimes I see blogs of seemingly perfect people and it's sickly sweet (to me). You are an answer to those prayers. You seem to be real and have real struggles, yet you gently encourage me to want to be a better wife, mother and homeschooler. I know you are extremely busy; but, thanks for taking the time to be a blessing to me! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Laura.
    Thank you for reading.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Your kindness has encouraged MY heart this morning.
    Keep on!!
    I hope you're enjoying this lovely time of year!
    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts too.....