Tuesday, December 20, 2011

How Christmas Makes Me A Better Parent

This year, I've been intentionally looking and listening for Christmas.
Don't get me wrong here.
I don't mean all the lights, and frantic shopping, and long lines at the mall, and getting.
I mean... the giving.
I want to know how to communicate to my babies the truth about Christmas.
Why the virgin birth is miraculous and was essential to their salvation.
Why God's willingness to wrap Himself in human skin makes any difference to my daily living.
And I found something the other day.
In a devotional I was reading.
It challenged me to read 1 Corinthians 13 in a way I had never done before.
I've read that passage of scripture at least 2,345 times (well, something like that.)
I've memorized it at some point in my early years.
But the devotional challenged me to read verses 4-8 and to substitute "Jesus" for the word "love."
I read verses 1-3 the same way:

If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels,
but do not have Jesus,
I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
And if I have the gift of prophecy,
and know all mysteries and all knowledge;
and if I have all faith, 
so as to remove all mountains,
but do not have Jesus,
I am nothing.
And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor,
and If I deliver my body to be burned,
but do not have Jesus,
it profits me nothing.
Jesus is patient.
Jesus is kind,
and is not jealous.
Jesus does not brag
and is not arrogant,
does not act unbecomingly;
Jesus does not seek His own,
is not provoked,
does not take into account a wrong suffered,
Jesus does not rejoice in unrighteousness,
but rejoices with the truth.
Jesus bears all things,
Jesus believes all things,
Jesus hopes all things,
Jesus endures all things.
Jesus never fails"

~1 Corinthians 13: 1-8a (NASB)

Shouldn't my greatest mentor as a parent be the One who came to this earth to reveal what true love looks like?
What if my name were put in the places where I put Jesus name in the above scriptures?  
What would that look like to my children?
Would my children agree with that passage then?

"For God so loved (Brenda) that He gave..."
~John 3:16

"The one who does not love does not know God,
for God is love."
1 John 4:8

**Repost from the archives**

1 comment:

  1. That really makes me stop and think. I too have read that passage over and over and memorized it in my teen years. Putting Jesus' name in place of charity (love) humbles me greatly. This is one of my favorite blogs from you, Brenda. It is one I'm going to spend a great deal of time thinking and praying about.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts too.....