Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A little homesick?

I grew up in Northwest Ohio. 
 Way out in the country.
  In an old georgian style brick home surrounded by corn and soybean fields.  










The summers were warm and bright and clear and beautiful.
Winter was long, and cold, and snowy.



Now I live in Texas.
I love it.
It's hot......a lot.
We don't have a lot of snow.
Usually just one day a year (last winter was a very strange exception!).
And I'm happy with that.
My children get to experience snow, but I don't have all the hassle.

But it's this time of year that I miss my childhood home.
The smell of leaves in the air.
The smell of bonfires.
The hayrides with sweatshirts and jackets on, roasting marshmallows in the crisp, cold evening air.
The pumpkins lined up on hay bales decorating everyone's yard.
The suede jackets, and courderoy, and fleece. 
The field trips to the apple orchards, picking the biggest, juiciest Golden Delicious Apples you've ever seen.
The change of colors in the leaves on the maple and oak trees.
The crunching of leaves, ankle deep, under my feet while walking through the forest.
The harvesting of the soybeans.
The canning of tomatoes and corn, and digging up the potatoes in the garden and storing them away for the winter.
I miss butternut squash, cooked with smoky link sausage.
It's these kind of scenes that fill my head when I smell a "pumpkin spice" or "maple pecan" candle burning.
That's about as close to the season of Autumn that I can get down here.
Oh, there are plenty of counterfeits.
You can buy all the pumpkins and Autumn candles you want, but it's just not the same when it's 80 degrees.
I miss the party.


October's Party

October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came--
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.

The Chestnuts came in yellow,
The Oaks in crimson dressed;
The lovely Misses Maple
In scarlet looked their best;
All balanced to their partners,
And gaily fluttered by;
The sight was like a rainbow
New fallen from the sky.

Then, in the rustic hollow,
At hide-and-seek they played,
The party closed at sundown,
And everybody stayed.
Professor Wind played louder;
They flew along the ground;
And then the party ended 
In jolly "hands around."

~~George Cooper







1 comment:

Amber said...

Sounds WONDERFUL!!! I think I need to move to Ohio!!!!