Saturday, August 14, 2010

When I'm worried, and I can't sleep.....

Do you know the rest of the words to this song?
Can you remember what lovely, old movie you will hear this song in?

As parents of a rather large family (though I think that's really all about your perspective),
my husband and I have found ourselves fretting lately.
Fretting about.....you know.....money.
The fact that there never seems to be enough of it.
No matter how much we cut back.
No matter how close we trim the fat.
No matter how many hours we both work (he outside of our home to bring the money in....
and me inside of the home to keep the money from bleeding out.)
And not for fluff.
Simply for the necessities.
For shoes.
Diabetic medications.
School books.
Groceries.
Gasoline.
We don't take family vacations.
I only shop at THREE stores once a week to limit the impulse spending
 from those extra trips throughout the week.
We don't eat pizza or steak every day, much less eat out....hardly ever.
We don't shop for clothes.....ever.
My husband drives the same car to work that we had when we first married......14 years ago.
We don't have car payments or voluntary debt.
But we still worry.
Doesn't everybody at times?
Isn't that a plight common to ALL adults?


"When my bankroll is gettin’ small
I think of when I had none at all
And I fall asleep, counting my blessings"



But then things like this happen:

A neighbor is moving to a new house and wonders if we could use this......


(A piece of organization that I've been wishing for for a long time!!)


The very same afternoon, another neighbor is cleaning out his backyard and wonders if we would like this for our children:



(Something I've read over and over is so very beneficial for ADHD children because of the energy it burns!)
Last weekend my MIL brought us a large box STUFFED full of this from some lovely ladies at our former church who love our children:






(A year's worth of supplies for homeschooling!!)


Wednesday I received a call from some lovely, thoughtful, generous friends from our church family.
They have been cleaning out their daughters closets and wondered if we could use a some things:




Things for the big girls........







.....as well as the little girl.


It's when these kinds of things happen when our anxiety is at it's height that I'm reminded of these scriptures:

"......do not be anxious for your life, 
as to what you shall eat,
or what you shall drink;
nor for your body,
as to what you shall put on.
Is not life more than food, 
and the body than clothing?
Look at the birds of the air,
that they do not sow, neither do they reap,
nor gather into barns,
and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.
Are you not worth much more than they?
.......And why are you anxious about clothing?
Observe how the lilies of the field grow;
they do not toil nor do they spin.
.....Do not be anxious then, saying,
"What shall we eat? or
What shall we drink? or
With what shall we clothe ourselves?
.....for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things."
Matthew 6: 25-26, 31-32 NASB


"So if you’re worried and you can’t sleep
Just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you’ll fall asleep counting your blessings."

1 comment:

  1. I have been similarly blessed many times and I try always remember that and be that blessing to someone else when I can. Praising the Lord with you that He's supplying your needs.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts too.....