Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Out with the old......In with the new!!!

As I was in the midst of trying to figure out how I was going to swap out these particular ingredients in the foods we normally consumed, I happened upon this cookbook:



When I say "happened,"
I mean I was trying to kill some time in the grocery store waiting for a prescription to be filled
in their pharmacy.
So I started browsing the books, and this cookbook practically JUMPED into my hands.
I immediately loved what they had to say and on impulse bought it.
Hands down.......one of the best impulse buys EVER.

I knew the recipes would be good because the authors are from my homestate of Ohio,
and they are Mennonite!!!
If you've never had Mennonite cooking, my friend, you have truly missed out on one of life's greatest pleasures!!

Anyway, on page 167 of this cookbook is a fabulous recipe for making your own taco seasoning.
I use taco seasoning in several dishes including THIS one which I have shared with you in the past.
I now use my own taco seasoning and we like it even better than that nasty 'ol store bought stuff.
Have you seen the sodium levels on a packet of that stuff??

Taco Seasoning



Place in one pint jar:

1/2 cup onion flakes
3 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
3 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Cover tightly and shake well to mix.  To season, use 2-3 tablespoons of the mix and 1/2 cup water
for each pound of meat or beans.

** I tripled the recipe and don't use the cayenne pepper.



It's really THAT easy and a snap to put together.
Better ingredients, less salt.....WIN!!!


No comments: