Friday, August 13, 2010

It's hard to fly like an eagle, when you're surrounded by a bunch of turkeys!

In all my reading about foods most beneficial for the ADHD brain, I consistently found that starting the day with a high protein breakfast was essential.
Okay, so having that information is terrific. How to implement it is another story.
Neither of my ADHD children would I classify as "morning people," and neither do either of them wake up
and immediately want to eat.  If I tell them "they eat now or wait until lunch," then they just pick and are starving by 11 am which only triggers behavioral issues.  So, in the past we would resort to a bowl of cheerios with milk.
Not horrible, but too much carbohydrate, and not a ton of protein.
As you've seen in my post from yesterday, we do have pancakes once a week or so, and even some muffins now and then.  But I'm trying to think of ways to add more protein to the menu without scrambling eggs everyday and shooting their cholesterol levels through the roof.
So I stumble upon this recipe while reading through this website.  
PERFECT!!
My children enjoy sausage now and then, but I've been hesitant to purchase it because of it's high fat content and  all the chemicals in it.  Plus, it's rather expensive.
But this recipe for turkey sausage hits the SPOT.  It's super easy to put together and tastes dynamite!!
My children like it (expect for a couple, but they all are slowly warming up to it) and my husband LOVES it!!


Homemade Turkey Sausage

1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. sage
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg



Mix all the ingredients and chill for an hour or so.  (I mixed mine up the night before.)






Chilling the mix enhances and blends the flavors as well as helps when forming the patties.
Make into patties and fry in a skillet or on the griddle.


Cool and then freeze or enjoy right away.






If you don't have all the spices you can make it without using them all, except the sage.
The sage gives it that great sausage flavor!!

** I double the recipe for our family and use garlic powder instead of onion powder,
and onion salt instead of regular salt.
I also skipped the cayenne pepper so my children would actually eat it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts too.....