Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Homemade cream soup

When I began really reading ALL the labels on EVERY food in my pantry, I was mortified to find MSG in the ingredients of cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup. I thought that was the ONE ingredient that I had done a good job of keeping out of my house.   That is on the "no-no" list of foods for ADHD children.  Something about it being a preservative and sensitivity to it, and contributing to hyperactivity in ADHD children.  Anyway, I'm avoiding it now.

So I needed to find a recipe for making my own cream soups since I wasn't about to trash this recipe OR this one.

I am not including pictures of this recipe for several reasons:

1.  I am cream soup/gravy challenged.  I've never been able to get it thick enough
before it scorches on the bottom and ends up tasting burned.

2.  I'm still experimenting with the recipe and instructions to get it just right.

But I'm excited to announce that the batch I made this morning was delightful and I'm sure there will be pictures coming at another time.

But for now, here is the recipe:

Cream Soup (Substitute for Campbell's Soups)

6 T. butter (This morning I used 3 T. margarine and 3 T. canola oil and it was much better!)
1 T.  instant chicken seasoning
1/4 t. pepper
6 T. whole grain flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 t. salt
4 cups milk (I use skim)

In skillet, melt butter.  Combine powder ingredients and blend with melted butter.  Heat until bubbly.  Remove from heat and slowly blend in part of the milk. 
(Here is where I start having problems.  This morning I only added one cup at this point.)
Return to medium heat and continue stirring in the rest of the milk as it thickens.
(Another problem point for me:  here I added a cup at a time and ended up only using 3 1/2 cups of milk total)
Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
(Final problem area for me:  It never gets to a full hard boil for me without scorching on the bottom.  So when it was just starting to bubble around the edges, I set the timer for 1 minute).

Store in refrigerator up to 1 week, or freeze in 2-cup containers up to 1 month.
Makes 4 cups.
2 cups of this is about equal to 1 can cream of mushroom soup.


Variations:
Mushroom Soup - Add 4 oz. can finely chopped mushrooms
Celery Soup - Add 1 cup finely diced celery, cooked
Chicken Soup - Add 1/2 cup finely chopped leftover chicken

**Use rice milk if allergic to cow's milk.

No comments: