Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Monday, August 9, 2010

Experimenting

Several months ago, I talked about researching 
how our diets affect the ADHD in my children.
I won't rehash all that, but you can review that information if you would like right
So during this summer, I have been very slowly modifying some of our "staple" meals to be more "ADHD friendly", as well as experimenting with some new recipes.
I thought this week I would share some of these recipes.

Making these dietary changes hasn't been nearly as traumatic as I was envisioning it would be,
and in fact, my family is loving some of the new things that have come to the dinner table!!

I have learned that in making diet changes it works great to just pick one or two things you want to eliminate and find alternatives.  
Don't try to knock out the entire list of things all at once.
It takes time for you and your family members to learn to like new flavors and textures,
especially if they are addicted to sugars and chemical flavor enhancers.

So one of the first things I started purging from my pantry was the
HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP.

Can I just say that I was embarrassed at how much of that one ingredient permeated our diet??
I had no idea.
And since it is largely a thing of the past.....the difference in the calmness of my children has been palpable!!

One of our favorite family recipes is Homemade Chicken Fingers.
I thought I was doing great making these at home and baking instead of frying.
PFFFTT!!  
NOT!
Store bought bread crumbs have high fructose corn syrup in them.
Bummer.

So I found a recipe to make my own chicken coating mix!
You have to make it with bread that has no HFCS in it though, so be careful.
"Nature's Own" and some "Oroweat" bread is free of HFCS,
and I can get that inexpensively at the bread store outlet near me.
The homemade coating mix is wonderful and no one in my family noticed a difference!!

Coating Mix for Oven-Fried Chicken 

2 cups dry bread crumbs
1 1/2 tsp. salt (I leave this out if I have the onion and celery salt, or it's too salty for us)
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. onion salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. poultry seasoning 
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I actually like to use a little less or it's too oily)

To make the bread crumbs:  Save the heels of bread or rolls or toast in the freezer until you've accumulated enough for a batch of bread crumbs.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Line your cooking sheet with the stale bread and dry it thoroughly in the oven.  Put cool toasted bread in your blender and whirl until very fine.

Blend the bread crumbs and remaining ingredients with a fork until well mixed.
Keeps unrefrigerated in tightly covered container.
Makes 2 1/3 cups of mix.
Use as you would the shake and bake!!
Very tasty!


No comments: