Friday, July 16, 2010

Grandma's Homemade Doughnuts

When I was a little girl, I loved getting to spend the night at my grandmother's house.
One of my favorite memories of her was the doughnuts she made for us on Saturday mornings.
My grandmother was a bona fide "hoarder", so if you've watched one of those TV programs about that issue,
then you know what her kitchen looked like.
But my sister and I didn't care.
She always had just the right amount of space left on her stove to make these.
These were such a treat for us,
and I've always remembered exactly how to make these.
They are not packed with nutrition and not something I would recommend on a daily basis.
But their greasy sugariness are DELICIOUS!!


Grandma's Homemade Doughnuts

1 tube of refrigerated biscuits


**I used the tubes of 10 small biscuits, but you could use any size.
I want to try the Pillsbury Grands sometime!!


Fill a large pan half full of vegetable oil.
I use Canola.
Turn it on and heat it until a little ball of biscuit dough starts to fry.


Pinch one biscuit between your thumb and first finger until you've created the "hole" in the center of the doughnut.




Carefully drop about 5 biscuits (depending on the size of your pan, of course)
into the hot oil and fry on one side until lightly brown.


They fry up lightly brown in about 25 seconds, so you have to watch them carefully.
Flip them over with a fork and let them fry on the other side.


Remove from the hot oil when completely browned and let drain
on a paper-towel covered plate.
Then find yourself a helper who is wandering around the house looking for something to do.
Fill a large ziploc bag with powdered sugar.
Drop about 3 doughnuts into the bag and let your helper shake them around until covered in powdered sugar.




I also made a batch of "cinnamon sugar" doughnuts by adding several tablespoons of cinnamon 
to the remaining powdered sugar in the bag.



Our delicious finished product!!!!
Enjoy!!

P.S.  I saw an episode of Paula Dean making these doughnuts, and I was so excited to see her
using the same technique my Grandma used so many years ago!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/canned-biscuit-dough-donuts-and-holes-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts too.....