Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Whiter than snow



This last Thursday morning, my oldest daughter awoke before the sun was up. When she peeked out her window and saw all the snow, she immediately woke her 5-year old sister who was sharing the top bunk with her, so she too could see the excitement happening outside. Of course, they had to wake me up at that time too to let me know about this, so after I told them their daddy had already told me at 4:30 am when he was leaving for work, I sent them back to bed. I could hear them whispering on and off for a little while, then silence again.
Later that morning, once we were all up and eating some breakfast, my oldest daughter casually told me about her conversation with her little sister in the wee hours of the morning with the snow softly falling outside.

She said, "Mom, I told her that her sins could be made whiter than the snow. Abby got saved this morning."

Well, that perked my ears up right away. I asked her to tell me again about their conversation, and then knew I needed to follow up with her right away.
See, for several months now we've been talking with Abby about her need for salvation. She knew that she was a sinner as the Scripture tells us we all are in Romans 3:23. She knew that she could not have a home in Heaven because of the sin in her heart, and because that sin separates her from God as we read in Romans 3:23 and John 3:3, 6, 15, 16,17 and 18. She knew that Jesus Christ died in her place and paid the price for her sin by His shed blood as the Bible tells us in Romans 6:23, and I Corinthians 15:3 and4. She understood that she needed to ask Jesus to forgive her of her sins and to come into her heart as we explained to her from Romans 10:9, 10 and 13. But we just weren't convinced that she was completely understanding the entire concept together.
But that morning we were given a magical picture in nature to illustrate what God does with our sin when we ask for forgiveness and cleansing:

"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord:
though your sins be as scarlet,
they shall be as white as snow....."
Isaiah 1:18

When I read that to her from the Bible and she saw what was blanketing our yard and trees, it became perfectly clear to her. So, in her mommy's bed, tucked under the covers, we prayed and she asked Jesus to forgive her of her sins and to come into her heart. It was a very precious moment, and made that amazing snowfall even more extraordinary to our family!!



"Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean:
wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow."
Psalm 51:7



Whiter Than Snow
Words: James Nicholson, 1872. Music: William Fischer.

Lord Jesus, I long to be perfectly whole;
I want Thee forever to live in my soul.
Break down every idol, cast out every foe;
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Refrain
Whiter than snow, yes, whiter than snow.
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Lord Jesus, let nothing unholy remain,
Apply Thine own blood and extract ev’ry stain;
To get this blest cleansing, I all things forego—
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Refrain

1 comment:

Amber said...

That is GREAT! I read the part about a place in heaven for Abby and I was just wondering what you thought of the Scriptures at Matthew 5:5 that says Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth. And Psalms 37: 9-11 9 For evildoers shall be cut off:
but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.
10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace

God's original purpose was for Adam and Eve to live forever on earth. Just because they sinned does not mean God's original purpose changed. He sent his only son Jesus Christ to die for our sins so that we could have the hope of living on earth forever! In Revelation it states that only 144,000 would go to heaven......Just wondered what you thought of that!