Friday, February 12, 2010

Update on Intuniv......week 3


Don't get the impression that my poor son is laying around all day sleeping now that he is taking Intuniv.
But I do notice when he falls asleep involuntarily during the bright daylight hours. This was only the 2nd time in his entire lifetime that he has fallen asleep "accidently."
I snapped a picture of him yesterday afternoon after a fun morning of playing outside in our record breaking snow event here in Texas.
He was like this for maybe a half hour or 45 minutes, and then he was back up and outside for more fun. He even went right to sleep at his normal bedtime too!!

I can tell a difference in how I'm feeling also now that he is getting more regulated on this medication.
He is much calmer and cooperative, and he isn't spending his downtime irritating his siblings.
He seems to be able to just sit down quietly and watch some TV with us, or play quietly with his own little toys. I'm feeling much more relaxed and not as high strung because of his constant
flitting around and conflicts. Whew!!!
Up to this point (and we're up to 3 mg. and our 3rd week of taking it), I have seen no adverse reactions or side effects. The ugly mask of anger and frustration seems to be coming off
and we're seeing a better engaged, happier, less irritating child.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog about Intuniv and your son. My son just started last week and we are moving to 2mg on Friday. How is your son doing this week on 3mg? Thanks for your input...Jill

Brenda said...

Hi Jill,
My son is doing WONDERFUL!! I have to tell ya that my husband and I have been really impressed and have definitely noticed improvement in him. I do plan another post here with a sort of "final" update since it looks like we're going to top out at the 3 mg. Honestly though he still has a few rough spots nearly everyday, but not to the same intensity, and his "settle down" time has greatly diminished. He also seems to be adjusting and not running out of steam around 4 or 5 pm, and consequently falling asleep. Overall, we're very happy about this decision for him so far. Keep watching for that next update!!! Thanks for reading!!

Jill said...

Brenda,

Have you noticed an improvement in focus with his schoolwork? Just wondering? Thanks for all of your support and information. Jill

Jill said...

Also...why are you stopping at 3mg? Just wondering what your clues are in deciding when the dose is correct. Thanks, Jill

Brenda said...

Jill,
Thank you for your great questions. After I posted this, we went on to the second full week of using 3 mg. By the end of the week (this past Friday, the 19th) we noticed a DRAMATIC change in our son. It has almost been like he's regressed to not taking anything at all. The last three days have not been good for him. He's been angry, and irritated at everything, and spent much of his day crying and raging. I'm calling the doctor tomorrow morning, to see if we do indeed need to move up to the 4 mg. after all. Thank you for your questions.

Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction with my son. he started the 1mg and after about 4 days, WOW, what a change. so polite, quiet, never had to ask him twice to do something. so out of the norm. But the day after we increased him to the 2 mg, he regressed. crying all the time, not wanting to cooperate. His teacher said he was better before we started the whole meds thing.The doctor said it probably was too much for him. We are taking a couple days off and starting back on the 1 mg.