Life in my Shoes

Life in my Shoes

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Update on Ashlyn's diabetes!!!

This afternoon (Monday) was our 4th endocrinologist visit since our second daughter's diagnosis one year ago (Feb. 11, 2009).

We had a TERRIFIC visit and my mind was so put at ease!!!

We're supposed to have these check-up's quarterly but we're having a hard time getting an appointment with this doctor's office because apparently they are booked so solid that we usually can't get a spot that works for our schedule but once every 4 months. Anyway, this visit was with the nurse practictioner, and I talked with her at LENGTH about Ashlyn's thyroid diagnosis, and the troubles we've been having in keeping her blood sugar levels within the range suggested to us (80-150). She pointed out to me that since September she has grown just over and inch and gained just 7 pounds which is much less than I was fearing. She is just in the 50th percentile for her height and 50-75th percentile for her weight. So the increase we have been seeing in her insulin has been because she is growing and her body is getting bigger.

Bigger body=More insulin

Even better news was her A1C Level:

7.6%

Last July she was at 7.7% and at the end of September she was 7.5%. So I'm very happy that we are least staying within a pretty good range even though we've been seeing lots of high blood sugar readings lately.
Overall, since her medical team seems to be happy with our management of her diabetes and the numbers we've been getting, then I'm going to just keep doing what we've been doing, and put my worries on the back burner of my "stove of worries". Heaven knows I have plenty of other things to keep on top of!!!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Way to go with that A1C!!! That's an AWESOME number!!!

Feb. 11 is my birthday!!! :)

Brenda said...

Awww.....thank you so much, Amy!!! I certainly was relieved!! WHEW!!