Thursday, February 18, 2010

Snow ICE CREAM!!!

Growing up in Northwest Ohio, snow was a regular, frequent, and eventually monotonous part of every winter. I enjoyed lots of winter activities from sledding to fort building to ice skating to "snow days" from school. But it wasn't until I was living in New Hampshire as a newly graduated college student that I tried this recipe. I found it in a great cookbook that I will share at a later time.
Since we NEVER have enough snow to make this, I thought that last week's snow event would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me to introduce this to my children. They were very intrigued to say the least.
I have to be honest though, and confess that I was not completely enamored by the results this time around. I truly believe that the TYPE of snow we had last week was too heavy and wet and grainy for this recipe to turn out as good as I remember it. Maybe it's just New Hampshire snow, but I think it would have worked better if it had been the finer, more powdery kind of snow that doesn't make great snowmen. Anyway, we had such fun finding clean snow and then tasting something new!!! Yummy!!

Snow Ice Cream
Serves 8 children


Stir together lightly:

2 1/2 quarts clean snow
1/2 cup milk or cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar

Eat right away!
Does not freeze and keep well.


I used a 5 quart ice cream pail to gather our snow.




Mix everything together until well blended.



Again, this wasn't the kind of "ice cream" as you think of in the soft serve machines.
Ours turned out more watery and slushy.
I tried several batches with less milk and more snow and vice versa, and came up with
the same result every time.
It was just the texture of the Texas snow!!
But it sure tasted sweet and delicious!!!

1 comment:

  1. Bren, the secret is that the snow must be at a "colder" temperature than yours was. My guess it that it was very close to 30-32 deg. It should be below 20 deg F and the mixing process must be done with cold ingredients and as quickly as possible once you've brought it inside. The results will be much closer to your memories.

    DAD

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts too.....