Friday, February 19, 2010

Friday's Fabulous Family Recipe

Last week while the snow was generously falling, I pulled out a couple recipes and the hot chocolate started flowing freely.
I have to be honest.
I ended up using two different recipes.
I just didn't like the way the first batch turned out.
I had forgotten about the silt that forms on the bottom of the pan.
I had forgotten how the powdered milk formed this sort of nasty thick layer that rose to the top and was kind of yucky to sip through.

So I ditched the first recipe and tried another one. We all liked that one much better. I'm going to include the first recipe because I think that foundationally, it is good. I just can't figure out how to solve the "silt on the bottom of the pan" issue. Maybe you can. Let me know if you do.
(I even tried grinding the powdered milk and dry ingredients finer in the blender before adding the water.......still no good.)




Hot Chocolate #1
1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
5 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons baking cocoa
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Dash of salt
3 cups boiling water


In a saucepan, combine the milk powder, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, and salt.



Add boiling water, stir until milk powder is dissolved.
5 servings
(You can see in the above picture that I tried putting everything in the blender first, to make it finer, but I still had problems with it.)


Hot Chocolate #2
(My children's favorite)

2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups skim milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In a medium saucepan stir together sugar and cocoa powder. Gradually stir in milk till smooth. Heat over medium heat till warm.
Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
Makes 4 (6 oz.) servings










And then with all the cold weather, my children just DEVOURED the new instant oatmeal recipe that I just found for breakfast. With the host of health issues my children have, I'm on the lookout for healthy new ways to feed them. I found this recipe on the Homemaking Homesteader's blog, and it's WONDERFUL!!! Click here to see the recipe and all her pictures because it's quite well done and easy to follow. It's delicious, healthy, and my children LOVE it!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I am gonna try that oatmeal!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts too.....