Thursday, February 25, 2010

The biopsy

Yesterday afternoon I had my second visit with my endocrinologist. This wasn't really supposed to be treated as a follow-up visit from my initial meeting with him in January, but it kinda ended up that way. He wanted me to come back yesterday so he could do his own ultrasound of my thyroid to get a good look at these nodules I have going on there. He also wanted to biopsy the largest nodule by doing a fine needle aspiration. When he described this procedure to me in January, I left with the impression that this needle was very small, and "fine". I was thinking like the size of my daughter's insulin syringe. Something like this:




But, no, in reality it was more like THIS:




Yes!!
That was precisely MY reaction too.

After he did the ultrasound, he decided he was going to bypass the biopsy because the nodule is so small. He showed me all the pictures and kept pointing out how small it was. But then, he seemed to give it a second thought and felt it for himself again. This time he noticed that it really moves around a lot. That seemed to bother him. I told him I was fine with whatever he decided to do and that I was not going to be disappointed if he didn't do the biopsy, but since I was there anyway it would be fine if he went ahead with it. Then if the results come back as nothing, that's great news. So he went ahead with it.

I have to be honest and say that it certainly wasn't pleasant, but it was pretty quick, and not that terribly painful. I'll spare you the nasty details, but the doctor said it really looked like a "colloid nodule" to him which in laymen's terms means benign. But we'll know for sure when the results come back.

After all that was over, we talked about another blood draw. I explained to him that since I started the levothyroxine in January my intolerance to cold has gotten worse.
MUCH worse.
To the point it is distracting and extremely noticeable.
It's the worst at night time, and tapers off by morning.
I shiver getting ready for bed and have to use extra blankets, much to the chagrin of my already overheated husband. He is very tolerant of all my high maintenance stuff, but the extra blankets make him hotter than he already is, so I hear about that.
When I was sick this last weekend, I had to use a heating pad plus 2 extra blankets on top of the comforter, WITH a FEVER, and I became consumed with how I couldn't get warm.
I told all this to my doctor who immediately said it was time to check my thyroid levels now instead of waiting until the end of March as he decided in January. I also asked if he could check for the antibody levels to see if I have Hashimoto's Disease going on. It is an auto-immune disease where your body basically attacks the thyroid and shuts it down completely, so you have to have a replacement hormone in the form of a pill (levothyroxine). It's treated the same way as simple hypothyroidism, but it's important to know that because you are prone to other auto-immune disorders and the doctors can watch for that. We're also checking to see why my first set of blood work showed that my blood platelets were low. There are auto-immune disorders associated with that too, so it's important to just check all this out.

So, I'm hoping and praying that all of this will be nothing more than a needed increase in the dosage of levothyroxine that I'm currently taking. I'm only on 50 mg. right now, and with the cold issue the doctor is thinking I need to go up on that. If that doesn't help, I'm moving to Hawaii where it's warmer!!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been hypothyroid since college...have you ever tried Synthroid (a name brand), instead of levothyroxine (generic). I had a really hard time regulating my dosage on levothyroxine...my OB said that he thinks that generics are fine...with the exception being hormones (birth control, estrogen, and thryoid replacement). Since going back on Synthroid a few years back...everything is stable. Just a suggestion. :-) Jill