Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Sovereignty

For many years I have had this little poem tucked in my Bible. It's not the most brilliantly composed piece of poetry, but I believe it is well-loved. Having studied textiles a little bit while in college for my Home Economics degree (which I'm pretty sure is obsolete now), these words have extra strength and meaning for me. It encouraged me this morning, I hope it will you:


The Weaver

My life is but a weaving
between my Lord and me,
I cannot choose the colors
He worketh steadily.

Ofttimes He weaveth sorrow,
And I in foolish pride
Forget He sees the upper
And I, the underside.

Not till the loom is silent
And the shuttles cease to fly
Shall God unroll the canvas
And explain the reason why.

The dark threads are as needful
In the Weaver's skillful hand
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned.

3 comments:

Amber said...

Yay!! I can finally comment! I LOVE this poem!!!

Brenda Brough said...

YAY!!! I'm SOO glad!!! Thanks!!!

Deborah Sutorius said...

I love this poem. Corrie ten Boom quoted it often. I keep trying to find a cross stitch or embroider pattern to make this. No luck yet!